Veteran's Resource Center Manager
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a Veteran’s Resource Center Manager. This position is responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive program of services and outside resources to ensure the well-being and success for student veterans primarily but includes all military connected students.
- Provides overall direction and leadership to the Student Veteran Center by developing programming that builds strong support networks for student veterans and their families; engages subject matter content experts as needed to build the programmatic infrastructure needed.
- Responsible for the daily operation of the Veteran Resource Center; ensuring that the center is staffed, and all staff is able to inform and/or connect the military connected students with the appropriate support resource needed.
- Coordinates all logistics for all program activities, events, and programs as it relates to transition and support of military-connected students.
- Maintains current database of State and Federal Veteran services and resource information (Example: Housing, welfare assistance, medical assistance, scholarships).
- Identify Veteran student needs and coordinate meetings with the appropriate University Departments including Student Services, Admissions, Military Billing, Student Disability Services, etc.
- Maintains a working knowledge of compliance as it relates to the DoD and VA for the Vectren Center and the ROTC Offices, and ensures that all transactions and information provided through contacts with the Veteran’s Center are compliant.
- Actively participates in relevant and appropriate military-related associations, meetings and conferences to keep up to date on education about veteran’s issues and to advance the brand of GCU being military friendly.
- Establishes presence in the Arizona community that GCU is supportive and dedicated to providing services and resources to the veteran community; builds a network of resources who want to partner with GCU in providing services.
- Serves as an advisor to student veterans connecting them with appropriate support services needed, e.g., academic, financial, counseling.
- Develops and conducts a customized new student orientation for military connected students; ensures that the information provided helps support the transition from military life to academic/campus life.
- Partners with other GCU outreach efforts to extend GCU’s caring vision into the local veteran community.
- Serves as liaison for ROTC command instructors that are assigned to GCU campus to ensure all the resources, tools, and technical needs are available to them in their service of GCU students.
- Establishes regular touch point meetings to relay operational needs to Military Operations.
- Oversees Student Veteran Association (SVA); establishes the presence of the SVA among the student population through meaningful and engaging activities and creates an atmosphere/culture that engages students to participate
- Assesses, monitors and tracks the needs of the current student veteran population; recommends new initiatives according to the identified needs.
- Gains understanding of the various elements that support enrollment and college finances and ensures that all military connected students are advised by the appropriate entities such as, GCU financial aid, billing specialists and enrollment personnel to ensure they understand their financial obligations and what resources are available to support them.
- Provides information to management and all GCU related stakeholders about the unique needs and perspectives of veteran military students and engages in collaborative discussions as to how to meet the needs and leverage the unique perspective and talents of military connected students.
- Conducts annual program review assessment; provides findings to senior management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution preferably in student development, counseling, educational development.
- Minimum 2 years’ work experience directly related to carrying out the essential functions listed above.
- Experience in progressively complex student services work.
- Working knowledge of veterans’ benefits and certification process
- Proficient in public speaking to any size audience; able to engage listeners and have them understand and accept how GCU is supporting them.
- Computer proficiency utilizing routine office software such as MS Office Suite, email, internet, database(s), etc., and a familiarity with social media platforms.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check
- Must be able to work flexible schedule which includes evening hours or weekends to deliver program events.
- Military service preferred.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.