University Admissions Counselor - Traditional Ground Campus
Adjunct faculty candidates who are employed full time by Veteran’s Affairs and who are hired by GCU should have a waiver on file with the VA regarding employment with a for-profit educational institution. Waivers are available from the VA.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
An extraordinary career opportunity with an acclaimed leader in the rapidly growing education sector, Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a talented, energetic San Diego, CA University Admissions Counselor for our Traditional Ground Campus.
The University Admissions Counselor works as part of a team to recruit qualified high school students in the region to attend the traditional campus in Phoenix. You must be able to network and build relationships with teachers and staff in local school districts and engage youth groups in your region to provide outreach services to students. You will be responsible for maintaining a busy schedule that includes fairs, school visits, presentations, community/campus events, and hosting campus visits.
If you’re a sales professional who is passionate about impacting futures in academia and advocating the value of education, we want to hear from you! This position is a remote-based, work-from-home position in San Diego, CA. Significant regional travel throughout assigned territory and use of a personal vehicle are required. You must have a valid driver’s license and will receive mileage reimbursement.
Compensation: Base salary of $47,500 + a $6K Geographical Differential for San Diego, CA = $53,500
- Explores new opportunities, develops innovative strategies and builds sustainable and direct relationships with community school districts and/or others who have a key influencing role to generate awareness of GCU’s programs.
- Adjusts recruitment strategies, presentations, and information packets to address prospective student’s career/personal interests and parents’ needs.
- Develops and executes the strategy and logistics necessary to cover the assigned geographic area which include organizing and attending events such as on-site information seminars and presentations, or representing the University at conferences and/or conventions targeting specific audiences.
- Acts as event host/chaperone for qualified students at various campus visit trips, ensuring student safety and maintaining professionalism at all times with all parties.
- Acts as Subject Matter Expert for assigned territories and GCU’s higher educational programs for students and contacts to rely upon throughout the life-cycle enrollment process including application, admissions, tuition/financial aid, registration and nurturing through student start date.
- Actively engages in learning/education/information sessions by completing and achieving passing results on retention tests.
- Demonstrates in daily work activities the incorporation of new information/learnings and processes into the recruiting conversations with potential students.
- Identifies and prepares recruitment strategies to enroll students who persist to degree completion.
- Creates and maintains accurate contact history and necessary updates in GCU provided technology to manage potential students within assigned territory during each enrollment cycle.
- Develops and executes nurturing strategies for every student successfully enrolled.
- In collaboration with other University colleagues or management, develops marketing plans to promote the Colleges’ programs to constituents.
- Facilitates the distribution of informational materials through all appropriate channels within a territory.
- Collaborates effectively with all GCU personnel in the enrollment process to enable seamless admissions processes.
- Consistently creates a positive enrollment experience for students.
- Consistently demonstrates enthusiasm and advocacy for GCU in all interactions.
- Provides excellent customer service (internally and externally) in all interactions by maintaining a pleasant and upbeat presence/tone in all interactions, returning phone calls and emails received during business hours the same day (Service Guarantee).
- Maintains professional appearance and interacts cooperatively with others.
- May provide mentoring to less-experience employees or student workers.
- Remains current with GCU’s programs, new industry-wide trends and developments.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience and skill in building territories preferred.
- Strong business and marketing acumen with a knowledge of business development strategy with a track record of new business/sales accomplishments.
- Ability to interact with all levels of employee types including senior leaders in school districts.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills with strong constituency building skill.
- Action and results oriented, self-starter, self-directed and self-motivated with an entrepreneurial quality. Must be able and willing to work without daily oversight.
- Good negotiation and persuasiveness skills.
- Maintains a high familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures of relationship building and quality customer service.
- Must be successful in closing potential clients, customers, sales or similar.
- Must be a strong player with excellent planning and organizational skills in order to meet or exceed admissions projections and expectations.
- Confident, high energy and capable of launching new territories successfully, if necessary.
- Willingness to travel by car and/or plane during weekdays. 60% road travel.
- For those who reside outside of Phoenix, position may require overnight stays in Phoenix 2-3 times per month.
- Must live in or within a reasonable distance from assigned territory.
- Must be available to work varied hours, including evenings and weekends consistently.
- Must have own vehicle, valid driver's license, clean driving record.
- Cannot be delinquent or in default on a federal student loan as verified in your credit report. If in a rehabilitation program, your credit report must reflect that you are current, not delinquent, on your payments.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University
GCU’s Christian worldview has shaped the university’s mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University please visit us at www.gcu.edu.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000014136