Technical Director/Master Electrician
Grand Canyon University is seeking a Technical Director / Master Electrician for the Department of Theater and Dance. This position has a dual emphasis for the performing arts theatre, the responsibility for the management and construction of all stage sets and special effects and management and orchestration of lighting design and sound systems required for the productions. This position serves as the Technical Director primarily for 5 mainstage productions, and 2 mainstage dance productions.
- Maintains the performance spaces, lighting and sound equipment and related supplies.
- Maintains scene shop and its equipment, including general inventory.
- Manage scenic engineering and cost estimates, construction, installation and dismantling of all science elements.
- Assists in recruiting, training and assignment of volunteer or paid technical staff for individual shows.
- Ensures correct design, functionality and placement of lighting, audio and scenic elements for performances.
- Establishes training protocol for stage crew which may include students and ensures training and safety utilization are conducted.
- Direct crew in set up, testing, operation of carpentry and rigging equipment including portable staging, risers, chain motors, truss rights, fly system, hydraulic lifts and other motorized equipment.
- Establish yearly preventative maintenance schedule for all systems and equipment.
- Routine administrative responsibilities, budget estimation and management, completion of required reports, documentation of safety incidents, etc.
- Manage studio and main stage safety in collaboration with other COFA production management.
- Bachelor's Degree in discipline related to fine arts and theatre or a minimum 3 years’ technical theatre experience in set construction and lighting technology.
- Must have valid AZ driver’s license.
- Ability to successfully pass background investigations.
- Flexible work schedule, evenings and weekends required during productions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of theatrical sound and lighting systems and ability to design and operate light and sound systems needed for productions.
- Ability to draw and read technical theater construction and lighting drawings in CAD form (preferably in Vector Works or AutoCad).
- Basic first aid CPR/AED certification.
- Familiarity with NFPA 70, OSHA, USIT/PLASA, AE and fire codes enough to ensure safety and compliance.
- Ability to successfully guide and support student designers and technicians in the realization of their theatrical production elements as a key element to their training and experience in an educational setting.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cordially with fellow faculty, student designers, technicians and guest artists and directors from diverse backgrounds.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.