Student Athlete Development Coordinator
Grand Canyon University is seeking a Student Athlete Development Coordinator to provide comprehensive academic advising, academic support, and student development services to student-athletes. This position works closely with the University Academic Support stakeholders and provides insight for academic issues surrounding student-athletes.
The Student Athlete Development Coordinator is responsible to provide advising in a manner that supports and encourages students to make informed academic decisions, understand and communicate student athlete eligibility requirements and student responsibility and development of successful academic skills. Provides support to students during the pre-registration process; explores various major and career options and works to improve the academic performance of University student-athletes. Works as liaison between the Athletic Department and Registrar’s office to ensure student athletes are on course for graduation and maintain eligibility regulations.
· Assist in day-to-day operations of the Student-Athlete Development Center
· Advises enrolled undergraduate student athletes on University, college/department academic requirements including admission/general education requirements and specific program majors and minors.
· Provide intensive academic support to assigned teams and/or student-athletes, including counseling and advising high risk student-athletes
· Work one-on-one to develop and implement learning strategies and effective study stills within the framework of the students’ academic and athletic time demands
· Monitor academic performance, prepare and implement individualized plans for at-risk student athletes, and ensure student-athletes meet institutional and NCAA eligibility requirements
· Facilitate study hall.
· Assist in monitoring student-athlete class attendance.
· Schedule tutor appointments.
· Prepare weekly coaches' reports detailing academic progress and issues
· Assist with registration process, certification for competition, and Academic Progress Rates (APR) data collection.
· Evaluate student transcripts and/or records pre-registration and during student academic cycle to ensure appropriate program selection and selecting accurate course selection for graduation requirements.
· Assist with student-athlete development workshops and events, recruiting visits, planning special events and honorary coaches program.
· Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution required, preferably in the disciplines of Education, Counseling, or Sports Administration.
· Previous experience working with students at collegiate level
· Must possess ability to clearly establish and maintain appropriate boundaries with student athletes.
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
· Master’s Degree
· Experience in a student-athlete advising environment
· Experience in using degree audit reports and student information systems
· Experience in development of tutoring and advising programs and knowledge of the theory of learning and study skills improvement strategies
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.