Grand Canyon University’s Communications and Public Affairs department is seeking a full time Staff Writer position. This role is responsible for identifying, researching and writing copy of a variety of internal GCU printed and electronic communication vehicles.
- Entry-level position works collaboratively within the News Bureau team to produce and coordinate a variety of electronic and printed communications vehicles targeted at students, faculty, staff, alumni and external audiences. These primarily include GCU Today (news.gcu.edu), the University’s primary news site; GCU Today Digest, a daily news summary that is distributed at midday via email to faculty and staff; GCU Today Magazine, a quarterly print publication; and GCU TV, videos that capture news and events on campus.
- Reports on campus news of all varieties, including events, academics and student life.
- Assists with internal communications to students, faculty and staff, as well as public relations efforts with outside media, and writing or editing occasional marketing literature. Work normally is routed to the Communications Manager, who heads the News Bureau team, for approval.
- Possesses strong reporting, interviewing and writing skills, displaying an eagerness to cultivate contacts on campus among administration, faculty, staff and students. This is a position for a self-starter with creative ideas, someone passionate about telling the stories of a fast-growing University. Circulation among the University’s various constituencies is required, and evening and weekend work is occasionally needed. Familiarity with the University and its culture is expected. A premium is placed on an ability to work quickly and on deadline, producing high-quality, accurate, timely writing on a consistent basis.
- Expected to assist with the maintenance of the GCU Today website (which is set up on a WordPress template) and to take and post photos as needed. The Staff Writer also will assist with the coordination of various aspects of special projects.
- Researches communications tools and methods successfully implemented at competitive institutions, offering ideas and suggestions that help the team remain current and responsive to changing communications priorities, options and technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree required (journalism or communications emphasis preferred).
- Excellent journalism reporting, interviewing and writing skills.
- Must be comfortable doing video interviews. Knowledge of video production also a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Availability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP style.
- Experience in formatting and distributing electronic publications and/or developing web content a plus.
- Experience using camcorders and still cameras a plus.
- Learns computer language/design techniques as necessary to create new communications options and modify existing publications and sites as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet navigation, a variety of Internet browsers and Internet tools.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.