SSBU Esports Coach
Coach an esports team for the college esports season. Coordinates practices, scrimmages and competitive games. Perform scouting, strategy development and training regiments for an esports team. Administers all aspects of esports program including: recruiting, scouting, game/match and practice preparation, monitoring the academic progress of student-athletes, public relations efforts, budget operations, team travel arrangements, and fundraising activities. The position is responsible for developing student-athletes through a variety of instructional methods developing sport-specific skills, spiritual maturity, physical wellness, mental preparation, and character. The position will require the coach to take on the role as tutor and mentor to provide academic success of student-athletes and implement successful retention strategies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBLITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Establish appropriate game strategies for esports team to build skill and ability to compete.
- Coordinate scrimmages and matches with other schools, incorporating seasonal league games.
- Establish protocol to film team; review and provide feedback to team
- Gather competitive data and apply to coaching strategy and practices.
- Responsible for requesting, communicating and facilitating maintenance or replacing gaming hardware.
- Scouting high school players and potential walk-ons for team positions
- Create team environment which supports retention of team members and growth in skill ability.
- Ensuring team compliance with all league, conference, and institutional rules and regulations
- Continuously ensuring personal behavior and program reputation are in alignment with Grand Canyon University mission and doctrinal statement.
- Conducting coaching and instruction activities during training, practice and competition
- Coordinating off-season, practice and competition schedules
- Running camp, clinics, and promotional events
- Work with university staff and faculty on recruiting efforts and assigning scholarships.
- Recommend Esports equipment, facility and other needs to build competitive esports program.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Coach and develop esports team to successfully compete.
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In depth understanding of the esports video gaming genre
- Ability to successfully manage, mentor and coach team members.
- Self-directed with willingness to assume responsibility.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to resolve conflicting situations.
- Precise attention to detail.
- Outstanding communications and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to envision and drive growth for the university’s Esports program.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to resolve issues independently.
Strong relationship-building skills.
Ability to work with a diverse community of students, faculty, administrators and professional colleagues.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1 year experience competing in esports title of team being coached
- A valid driver's license and ability to travel are required.
- Must be available for team practices which will be after 5:00 p.m. and weekends
- Minimum 1 year work experience in coaching and coordinating team work in an esports environment; experience should include mentoring less experienced esports competitors.
- Coaching an esports team in a college/university.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following physical demands are estimated by the amount of time spent. Usually, the amount of time spent will be estimated on a daily basis, but depending on the position could be estimated on a weekly basis or a monthly basis.
Constantly: 60%+ or 5-8 hrs/shift Occasionally: 10%-25% or 1-2 hrs/shift
Frequently: 25%-60% or 4-5 hrs/shift Rarely: <10% or less than 2 hrs/shift
- Work is characterized as more than 50% sedentary at a desk.
- Work and tasks constantly involve the use of a computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse or mouse pad and/or mobile device.
- Constantly uses hands, fingers, wrists, forearms, shoulders, neck while using a QWERTY keyboard, mouse or mouse pad or other pointing technology.
- Constantly uses close-up vision to view, read, observe, review, compare, identify, interpret, research, report, sort, revise, analyze, select data and data elements on monitors and/or technical manuals or hard-copy.
- Work involves frequent communications to relay information, recommendations, suggestions, interpretations of data, and/or instructions to or with users, management, staff, team members using a variety of means such as telephone, one-on-one and group meetings, web conferencing, mobile device (texting/IMing) and other means as available with technology.
- Work frequently involves the ability to move about the office or move about the campus or other GCU facilities.
- Work rarely involves lifting, moving items, climbing, reaching, kneeling, stooping, bending, pushing, pulling.
- Work constantly involves mental acuity requiring planning and organizational skills, spatial recognition and placement skills, decoding information, using critical thinking skills to determine logical sequences and paths for processes, language comprehension, and to formulate sound conclusions, and concentration/focus on the task at hand; prioritizing work, tasks and activities in a logical manner and meeting deadlines and project timelines; accuracy and thoroughness; solving complex issues and problems; using creativity for problem solving and formulating logical recommendations.
- Work frequently involves the ability to translate and interpret complex technical information and restate it in simplified terms.