Sports Performance Coach
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a Sports Performance Coach. Under the general direction of the Director of Sports Performance, this position will manage all phases of the performance training programs Men’s Soccer and for other sport assignments that are to be determined.
- Develop, design, implement, and administer strength training programs unique to the assigned sport(s) and to each individual student-athlete, utilizing evidence based practices and current industry training practices.
- Provide instruction to student-athletes during strength and conditioning training sessions. Use discretion and independent judgement in developing and establishing goals, rules, expectations, and motivations for assigned teams and each individual student-athlete.
- Conduct appropriate pre-training session and pre-contest preparations and warm ups, working with qualified sports medicine personnel or athletic trainers during all training sessions and contests.
- Provides nutrition counseling as needed to student athlete to enhance sports performance.
- Educates student athletes in NCAA Drug Free Sport policies for assigned sport teams.
- Ensure at all times that the equipment and exercises are following best practices to safeguard the student athlete and the facility.
- Develop programs by evaluating current physical conditioning, having a knowledge of the various sports and associated exercises, tailoring strength programs for specific needs, demonstrating proper performance of exercises, ensuring proper execution by student athletes for both efficiency and safety; manage programs by monitoring progress and providing an assessment of development.
- Abide by and comply with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and other appropriate Conference rules, academic standards, requirements, and policies of the University, and all guidelines and policies of the Athletics department and report any concerns of compromise or violation of rules, standards, guidelines or policies to the Vice President of Athletics or the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and Administration.
- Aid Sports Medicine in the rehabilitation and reconditioning of student athlete to be able to return to play after injury.
- Prepare semi-annual evaluations and progress reports regarding the progress, conditioning, and training of the student-athletes for athletic management.
- Implement and monitor athlete tracking systems (Catapult, Playertek).
- Develop individual and team statistics.
- Monitor individual and team progress.
- Involvement in team practices and travel as requested.
- Participate in clinics and lectures on strength and conditioning upon request.
- Monitor appearance, maintenance, and organization of equipment in training facilities.
- Assist in scheduling and organizing daily use of the Facility.
- Assist in the evaluation and recommendation in the procurement and maintenance of all equipment.
- Assist in providing continuing education opportunities for strength staff.
- Responsible for updating information into GCU application database for each student-athlete served.
- Contribute to the overall success of the University's intercollegiate athletics program by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required from accredited 4-year university in sports or health sciences discipline, e.g. Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Movement Science or other related field.
- 3+ yrs experience in Sports Performance coaching in a collegiate/professional sports.
- Recommended participation in competitive High school or college athletics and the ability to articulate to student athletes the benefits of sports performance training.
- Possess a certification with the National Strength and Conditional Association (CSCS) or Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches Association (CSCCa).
- Has a thorough understanding of human physiology.
- Ability to effectively coach, advise, and motivate student-athletes.
- Knowledgeable of University, NCAA and Conference rules and regulations.
- Proficiency with MS Office software and familiarity with team, game, meet management software preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record and occasionally operates University vehicles.
- CPR, First Aid and AED required; Coaches’ Safety Training certifications helpful.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.