Server - Part Time
Grand Canyon University is seeking a part time server to work at the new hotel restaurant Canyon 49 on Camelback & 27th Ave. in Phoenix. The purpose of this position is to interact with our guests and ensure they have a great experience when dining. Restaurant Servers are responsible for positive guest interactions while serving guests in a friendly and efficient manner. At all times, servers are expected to be attentive to our guest needs and making them feel welcome, comfortable, important and relaxed.
- Welcome and greet guests when they arrive.
- Inform guests of specials and menu changes.
- Up-sell food and beverage items using suggested selling techniques.
- Answer questions about food, beverages and other functions and services.
- Prepares the tables, laying out napkins and utensils, making sure the condiments are refilled, performing all other preparation tasks.
- Staying updated on current menu choices, specialties and menu deviations, knowing if the kitchen staff is running out of any items.
- Maintaining proper dining experience, delivering items, fulfilling customer needs, offering desserts and drinks, removing courses, replenishing utensils, refilling glasses.
- Take food and beverage orders from guests, enter orders in POS system which relays orders to kitchen and bar.
- Properly open and pour wine at the tableside.
- Prepare final bill, present check to guest, accept payment, process credit card charges or make change.
- Perform side work at the start and end of each shift as required by service station assignment.
- Maintain clean service areas.
- Performing basic cleaning tasks as needed or directed by supervisor.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum of 6 months’ experience as server.
- Must be able to obtain Maricopa Food Handler’s Card before employment.
- Must be able to have flexible schedule, early mornings, weekends and holidays if needed.
- Must be fluent in English; ability to read and write.
- Basic knowledge of food presentation, preparation and handling.
- Understands and can communicate products and services available at the clubhouse.
- Possess basic math skills and have the ability to handle money and operate a POS system.
- Ability to demonstrate passion for providing exceptional customer service through every guest interaction to create repeat guest visits.
- Provides a professional image at all times through appearance and dress.
- Able to work well independently with little supervision.
- Ability to learn and follow all safety, emergency and accident prevention procedures.
- Ability to follow all OSHA and food handling procedures.
- Must be able to work 6-8 hours a day between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.