Reference Librarian - Part Time
Grand Canyon University’s library is seeking a part-time Reference Librarian. This position provides high quality, customer-focused reference services to individuals and groups, as well as providing education on the use of the library and its resources, including individual, classroom, and web-based instruction. Supports the continuous improvement of instructional programs and practices that impact student learning.
Please Note: This position will work part-time: Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings, 5pm to 10pm
- Provides virtual and in-person reference service to groups and individuals
- Promotes library services and assists in general circulation services
- Participates in library outreach programs and conducts library tours
- Provides library instruction and actively participates in the development and design of classes on use of the library and its resources.
- Collaborates with other library staff in planning expected learning outcomes and promoting resources
- Position may require evening and weekend hours
- Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Interacts cooperatively and constructively with all constituents; Exhibits the highest standards of dedication and commitment to quality service to meet or exceed student requirements; consistently conveys a positive attitude toward constituents; Demonstrates continual focus on student-centered learning and retention and learner needs.
- Other duties as assigned
- ALA-Accredited master's degree in library and information studies OR currently enrolled in an ALA-Accredited master's degree program in library and information studies.
- Professional experience in an academic library preferred.
- Must be able to work in a high volume, customer service environment.
- Good written communication skills with a good command of the English language; adept at writing technical information in a succinct and understandable format.
- Good interpersonal and communication skill.
- Must be a collaborative team player or capable of working independently.
- Able to explain how to use a computer and how to read a computer screen to people over the telephone or via video conferencing.
- Familiar with utilizing article databases and various online search engines.
- Must be able to pass background investigations.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.