Professional Grade Cleaning Technician
Grand Canyon University's Facilities Department is currently seeking a Professional Grade Cleaning Technician. The primary responsibility for this role is to provide professional grade cleaning to sterilize and sanitize facilities which provide medical care to GCU students and staff or any other area which requires this cleaning standard. The type of cleaning needed is to disinfect and sanitize the facilities according to medical grade standards.
May also be assigned regular janitorial duties at any time in any area depending on business need.
- Assigned regularly to clean the GCU Health and Wellness Center applying the professional grade standards as needed.
- Performs cleaning and disinfecting areas contaminated with bloodborne pathogens or other potentially infectious materials according to established protocols using specialty equipment, cleaning solutions and disinfectants to prevent the spread of disease as assigned.
- Cleans rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, rest rooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, locker rooms and other work areas.
- Polishes equipment, furniture, elevator doors, railings, etc. as necessary.
- Vacuums all rugs and carpeted areas in offices, lobbies, corridors and the like.
- Maintains tiled or hard floor with wet mop and utilize floor scrubber/polisher as needed or assigned.
- Empties wastebaskets, empties recycling materials and transports collected trash and waste to the appropriate disposal areas/dumpsters; ensures trash cans used to collect and transport trash and recyclables are kept clean.
- Dusts furniture, file cabinets, paneling, window sills, other equipment, printers, faxes, telephones, picture frames/wall hangings including magazine racks, air conditioning registers, wall grills or other ventilating louvers such ceiling air conditioning diffusers, and other exterior surfaces such as light fixtures.
- Service, clean and supply restrooms.
- If assigned to non office space, such as hotel, classroom fitness centers/gyms, handles all cleaning tasks either regular porter responsibilities or professional grade according to work ticket assignment.
- Follows all University safety protocols, including wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and appropriate handling of cleaning and disinfecting chemicals.
- When working the night shift, ensures the buildings are secured and locked after cleaning and notifies public safety. Notifies public safety or lead/supervisor of any suspicious situations, lost valuables, etc.
- Cleans exterior of building as assigned which may include light fixtures, glass doors, sweeping of entranceway
- Clean outside furniture as assigned
- Clean ground floor interior and exterior windows as assigned.
- Assist with setting up or tearing down of special event seating or other equipment
- Maintains exterior grounds cleanliness by picking up noticeable trash while moving around campus as part of the overall customer service of the facilities department.
- High School degree or equivalent completion
- One year similar work experience, preferably in medical related facilities.
- Must be able to pass training classes required for specialized cleaning within 45 days of employment; if not able to complete may lead to termination or reassignment to another role with requisite salary.
- Must be willing and able to complete specialty cleaning classes as needed.
- Must be able to understand and communicate in English and able to read and understand documents, such as safety policies and procedures and all labels on cleaning and disinfecting chemicals.
- Must be able to compose reports and/or e-mails utilizing computer e-mail application to document professional grade activities as required; must be able to learn within 30 days of hiring e-mail/documentation standards.
- Must be able to physically perform professional grade cleaning activities, e.g., wearing of Personal Protective Equipment at all times.
- Must be able to complete a medical evaluation and fit testing in order to wear a respirator within the first 10 days of employment and if not certified, this would lead to not meeting the physical qualifications of the job.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check.
- Certification in specialty cleaning preferred.
- Must be able to treat all with respect and dignity in all interactions
- Must be able to follow routine checklists
- Strong personal orientation to provide excellent customer service
- Must be able to understand and follow verbal and/or written English language instruction from Leads, Supervisors or Managers.
- Must have the physical ability to perform all tasks.
- Must be willing to work assigned shift.
- Must be punctual for shift start and maintain reliable attendance.
- Ability to learn and understand how to properly use and handle various commercial cleaning chemicals and solvents and other specialty cleaning tools/equipment.
- Willing to comply with all University safety requirements.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.