Multicultural Office Specialist
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a Diversity Specialist for the Multicultural Office. This position is responsible for assisting the Manager of the Multicultural Office in executing programmatic activities related to Grand Canyon University’s multicultural strategy within the student body through the Office of Student Engagement. This position works closely with the other Student Affairs’ Departments to execute initiatives such as mentorship, inclusivity projects, and diversity conversations/collaborations which help GCU achieve targeted outcomes.
- Execute GCU’s student multicultural activities collaboratively with stakeholders across the landscape of the university
- Assist in development of multi-year strategic plan to expand multicultural efforts; adapt plan in collaboration with Dean of Student Life.
- Partner with various student facing departments to foster a diverse and inclusive culture/community by building awareness and promoting cultural understanding.
- Partner with various campus constituencies to develop practices which support the success of a culturally diverse student body.
- Design and implement methods to assess the multicultural strategy initiatives and conduct ongoing research on best practices with the aim of recommending strategies for continuous improvement.
- Develop a comprehensive calendar of events and programs to promote a diverse intellectual and social environment for all students, with special attention to underrepresented and historically marginalized students/communities.
- Support and manage the activities of parent, student and faculty/staff groups whose purposes and goals are related to diversity issues.
- Act as liaison for GCU and its various communities in support of efforts to serve minority communities.
- Ensure all initiatives/guidelines executed comply with all regulatory requirements.
- Anticipate and overcome obstacles/barriers to multicultural initiatives which are targeted at changing the status quo practices and operating procedures.
- Effectively manage budgetary and resource allocations. Prepare reports and presentations, including metrics and accomplishments, as well as future activities and strategies. Provide metrics that show the results of diversity actions.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Professional work experience directly relating to implementation of programs which foster understanding of equity, inclusion, diversity, and/or equal opportunity and in developing constructive working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds, including those associated with race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, age, gender, disability, and/or other aspects of human diversity.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check
- Able to successfully navigate diversity initiatives through the barriers through a deep understanding of factors that impact implementation and management of effective diversity change efforts.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- General knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations governing discrimination, harassment, affirmative action and other issues related to protected classes.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the current challenges and barriers in supporting diversity ideology, values and initiatives.
- Excellent written and in-person communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with faculty, staff, parents and student populations.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.