Lecturer - Physics - College of Science, Engineering and Technology
Make a Difference at Grand Canyon University
Grand Canyon University’s College of Science, Engineering, and Technology is currently seeking a 9-month Physics Laboratory Lecturer. The Physics Laboratory Lecturer will teach various undergraduate physics laboratory courses in support of the physics curriculum at the University. This position also facilitates classroom discussions, assesses student performance, and prepares students to be successful leaders in their chosen profession.
Please Note: This is a 9-month, 32-hour per week in person position on GCU's Main Campus located off 33rd Ave. and Camelback in Phoenix, Arizona.
Responsibilities include equipping students with the required skill set, facilitating classroom discussions, assessing student performance, and preparing students to be successful leaders in their chosen profession.
Other main responsibilities include:
· Teach Physics laboratory courses to include but not limited to: Fundamental Physics, General Physics, and University Physics laboratory courses.
· Develops and provides instruction that incorporates current teaching methodologies, technologies and other trends that reflect advances in the requisite discipline educational instruction.
· Engages students to apply the scientific method in developing their course of action in conducting experiments.
· Stay current on topics and practices related to the discipline.
· Incorporates relevant research resources and experiential activities to support course objectives, lectures and learning outcomes.
· Assesses student performance in accordance with University Assessment Practices.
· Engages regularly in professional development activities.
· Maintains compliance with all college and University policies and program accreditation/licensure requirements.
· Assist students outside classroom hours.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Master’s degree required.
· Minimum of 3 years’ higher education teaching experience that includes teaching courses, conducting, and managing learning experiences and evaluating student achievement.
· Familiarity of conducting physics experiments and providing hands-on instruction in a physics lab.
· Familiarity with using a learning management system (LMS).
· Ability to articulate a clear understanding of values-based education from a Christian perspective.
· Demonstrated teamwork, self-motivation, integrity, and commitment to maintaining high professional standards.
· Ability to use different teaching methods and to transmit information in a manner which is accessible and comprehensible to students
· Strong analytical skills including ability to think synthetically and analytically with the ability to communicate complicated information in a comprehensible manner.
· Understanding of the various methods of adult learning, education deployment/delivery including distance education/online classrooms.
· Strong communications skills and the ability to effectively mentor and guide students.
· A respect for and ability to work with students.
· Ability to navigate instructional tools, computer assisted presentations, web-based tools such as an LMS.
· Strong ability to compose written communications (when necessary, in AP format) in a manner which ensures collective understanding.
· Strong understanding of student assessment of learning outcomes and how instructional efforts support the learning outcomes.
· Demonstrates integrity and ethical behavior congruent with GCU’s pillars and mission with a commitment to Christian ideals and philosophy.
· Participation in and/or support of the university’s programs in all areas including an evident congruence with the philosophy and direction of the institution, and service to the community.
· Ability to develop collaborative and cooperative relationships with committees, colleagues, faculty, and administration.
· Proficiency with MS Office Suite, databases, and routine office software (email, internet, etc.).
· Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.