Lecturer - Exercise Science - College of Science, Engineering and Technology
Make a Difference at Grand Canyon University
Grand Canyon University's College of Science, Engineering, and Technology, is currently seeking a 9-month Exercise Science Lecturer. The Exercise Science Lecturer teaches undergraduate exercise science courses with a focus on Sports Performance Science and Coaching, Resistance Training and Cardiovascular Fitness, Exercise Physiology, and Advance Principles of Sports Performance. This position also facilitates classroom discussions, assesses student performance, instructs students in health and exercise science majors and prepares students to be successful leaders in their chosen profession.
Please Note: This is a 9-month, 32-hour per week in person position on GCU's Main Campus located off of 33rd Ave. and Camelback in Phoenix, Arizona.
Responsibilities include equipping students with the required skill set, facilitating classroom discussions, assessing student performance and preparing students to be successful leaders in their chosen profession.
Other main responsibilities include:
· Teach courses within the Bachelor of Science Exercise Science major to include but not limited to: Sports Performance Science and Coaching, Resistance Training and Cardiovascular Fitness, Exercise Physiology, and Advance Principles of Sports Performance.
· Develops and provides instruction that incorporates current teaching methodologies, technologies and other trends that reflect advances in the requisite discipline educational instruction.
· Engages students within classroom to stimulate discussions for collective learning.
· Stay current on topics and practices related to the discipline.
· Incorporates relevant research resources and experiential activities to support course objectives, lectures and learning outcomes.
· Compiles bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading.
· Assesses student performance in accordance with University Assessment Practices.
· Engages regularly in professional development activities.
· Maintains compliance with all college and University policies and program accreditation/licensure requirements.
· Assist students outside classroom hours.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Master’s Degree required.
· Minimum of 3 years’ higher education teaching experience that includes teaching courses, conducting and managing learning experiences and evaluating student achievement.
· Specialized knowledge of discipline areas may be required.
· Familiarity with web enhanced instructional tools such as Angel/Blackboard/WebCT.
· Ability to articulate a clear understanding of values-based education from a Christian perspective.
· Demonstrated teamwork, self-motivation, integrity, and commitment to maintaining high professional standards.
· Ability to use different teaching methods and to transmit information in a manner which is accessible and comprehensible to students
· Strong analytical skills including ability to think synthetically and analytically with the ability to communicate complicated information in a comprehensible manner.
· Understanding of the various methods of adult learning, education deployment/delivery including distance education/online classrooms.
· Strong communications skills and the ability to effectively mentor and guide students.
· A respect for and ability to work with students.
· Ability to navigate Instructional tools, computer assisted presentations, web based tools such as Halo.
· Ability to articulate a clear understanding of values based education from a Christian perspective.
· Strong ability to compose written communications (when necessary in AP format) in a manner which ensures collective understanding.
· Strong understanding of student assessment of learning outcomes and how instructional efforts support the learning outcomes.
· Demonstrates integrity and ethical behavior congruent with GCU’s pillars and mission with a commitment to Christian ideals and philosophy.
· Participation in and/or support of the university’s programs in all areas including an evident congruence with the philosophy and direction of the institution, and service to the community.
· Ability to develop collaborative and cooperative relationships with committees, colleagues, faculty and administration.
· Proficiency with MS Office Suite, databases, and routine office software (email, internet, etc.)
· Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.