Janitor/Porter (Night Shift)
SUMMARY: Performs a variety of routine and special-event cleaning tasks to maintain the campus and partner office buildings, classrooms, student union, recreation center, athletic buildings, dining halls, and any other properties as assigned.
This position is assigned to the work schedules considered night shifts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES: Include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Cleans rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, rest rooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, locker rooms and other work areas.
- Polishes equipment, furniture, elevator doors, railings, etc. as necessary.
- Vacuums all rugs and carpeted areas in offices, lobbies, corridors and the like.
- Maintains tiled or hard floor with wet mop and utilize floor scrubber/polisher as needed or assigned.
- Empties wastebaskets, empties recycling materials and transports collected trash and waste to the appropriate disposal areas/dumpsters; ensures trash cans used to collect and transport trash and recyclables are kept clean.
- Dusts furniture, file cabinets, paneling, window sills, other equipment, printers, faxes, telephones, picture frames/wall hangings including magazine racks, air conditioning registers, wall grills or other ventilating louvers such ceiling air conditioning diffusers, and other exterior surfaces such as light fixtures.
- Service, clean and supply restrooms.
- If assigned to non office space, such as residence halls, hotel, classroom or gym, handles all cleaning tasks from the cleaning checklist.
- Adheres to all OSHA guidelines, wearing of PPE and handling of all cleaning chemicals. Follows safety guidelines at all times.
- When working the night shift, ensures the buildings are secured and locked after cleaning and notifies public safety. Notifies public safety or lead/supervisor of any suspicious situations, lost valuables, etc.
- Cleans exterior of building as assigned which may include light fixtures, glass doors, sweeping of entranceway
- Clean outside furniture as assigned
- Clean ground floor interior and exterior windows as assigned.
- Assist with setting up or tearing down of special event seating or other equipment
- Maintains exterior grounds cleanliness by picking up noticeable trash while moving around campus as part of the overall customer service of the facilities department.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBLITIES: None
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to treat all with respect and dignity in all interactions
- Must be able to follow routine checklists
- Strong personal orientation to provide excellent customer service
- Must be able to understand and follow verbal and/or written English language instruction from Leads, Supervisors or Managers.
- Must have the physical ability to perform all tasks.
- Must be willing to work assigned shift.
- Must be punctual for shift start and maintain reliable attendance.
- Ability to learn and understand how to properly use and handle various commercial cleaning chemicals and solvents and other specialty cleaning tools/equipment.
- Willing to comply with OSHA/safety requirements.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School degree or equivalent required.
- Minimum 6 months of related commercial cleaning experience, or similar work experience.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation(s) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following physical demands are estimated by the amount of time spent. Usually, the amount of time spent will be estimated on a daily basis, but depending on the position could be estimated on a weekly basis or a monthly basis.
Constantly: 60%+ or 5-8 hrs/shift Occasionally: 10%-25% or 1-2 hrs/shift
Frequently: 25%-60% or 4-5 hrs/shift Rarely: <10% or less than 2 hrs/shift
- Work entails approximately 70-80% while standing and walking.
- Constantly moves about the campus and buildings and offices to perform providing cleaning services. Moving about may entail walking, operating a gator or golf cart or other means to get from one location to another. Moving about also entails maneuvering the campus buildings which may include hallways, offices, classrooms, laboratories, lavatories and/or climbing stairs.
- Work constantly involves the use of cleaning chemicals, compounds, solvents or biodegradable chemicals which may be inhaled or unintentionally splashed on skin and eyes.
- While working with chemicals, personal protective equipment is required.
- Periodically throughout the shift and while moving from building to building or while working on building exteriors, Porters are exposed to seasonal extreme desert temperatures.
- Frequently uses a cell phone to obtain instructions from the lead, supervisor or manager, and requires active listening in order to assess and understand and decode information from employees, management and customers in order to act quickly.
- Frequently may require lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally may require carrying portable vacuums on the back.
- Frequently involves the operation of cleaning equipment such as floor scrubbers and buffers.
- Frequently involves pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, holding, carrying, reaching, reaching above the shoulders, stooping, bending at the waist, bending at the knees, kneeling, bending side to side, crouching, standing on step stools or small ladders, balancing.
- Work requires constant attention and awareness to safety, security and health issues with regard to self and employees.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.