Intramural Sports Coordinator
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking an Intramural Sports Coordinator. Under the general direction of the Intramural Sports Manager, administers the Intramural Sports Program which includes handling the scheduling, training of sports officials, handling tournaments, and maintaining the operational processes within the established guidelines.
This position requires a flexible work schedule to ensure coverage of game play, which can include either tournaments or regularly scheduled game meets. One must be able to work evenings and weekends.
- Handles the day to day operating processes for intramural sports.
- Coordinating the hiring of student leaders who oversee the teams’ games and the hiring of team officials.
- Conducts training for the team officials and student leaders in official sports protocols
- Collaborates with department management and Associated Students (student leadership) in defining intramural, recreation and off-campus sports programs, events or competitions for the seasons including planning and organizing student day and overnight trips, excursions, etc.
- Handles all logistics for team play and events such as reserving playing venues (which may include off campus sites), collection of student fees, transportation, and any other travel arrangements if playing outside of local Phoenix area (hotel arrangements, meals, etc.)
- Assists with marketing and promoting the Intramural sports programs
- Oversees assigned budget, monitors expenses and maintains an accurate accounting of charges or students’ fees; has authority and accountability to maintain and replenish equipment inventory.
- Maintains statistics and record of all league standings, and participation rates and updates website(s).
- Mediates conflicts, disagreements and official protests in a professional manner; handles appeals and complaints with management to handle any disciplinary issues as a result of game play.
- Ensures Sports equipment are properly stored, maintained, cleaned and inventoried; identifies and orders program equipment and supply needs. Performs regular inspections and checks to ensure equipment is in proper working order.
- Assists with development of policies and procedures and sport specific game rules; responsible for maintaining and updating official relevant documents.
- Serves as onsite risk manager during coverage of assigned game meets/tournaments.
- Assist with review of sports programs, operational procedures and usage of facilities to ensure risk mitigation.
- Remains current with new trends, college sports, games and other developments in the field of expertise.
- Occasionally drives passenger van to transport students.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Sports Management or Business Administration.
- Minimum two year’s relevant work experience.
- Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check(s).
- Must be able to work flexible schedule which includes evenings and weekends.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.