Instructor of Christian Worldview
Grand Canyon University’s College of Theology is seeking applicants for a full-time instructor of Christian worldview (CWV) and Course Lead to begin in the fall of 2022. This position primarily involves teaching Christian worldview courses within the College of Theology along with responsibility for providing leadership, oversight, and coordination as CWV Course Lead. Committee work, course/program development, and other types of faculty service will be expected. While most courses will be taught in the traditional ground classroom, willingness and ability to teach some online courses is important.
This 9-month position is a faculty role but entails limited administrative responsibilities related to Christian Worldview curriculum and instruction as well as GCU’s One Foundation (faith integration efforts).
A Course Lead provides vital leadership and oversight within the College of Theology in support of the Dean and Assistant Dean(s) in coordination with the college’s faculty. A Course Lead’s primary area of responsibility relates to a specified course or family of courses associated with the university’s gen ed program. Course Leads support the Dean, Assistant Dean, and faculty while representing the faculty in connection with specified course(s) while assisting with the development of a healthy institutional culture within the faculty and student body. Thus, this role entails leadership and operational assistance in addition to teaching responsibilities.
Qualifications and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have earned a PhD from an accredited institution in an area of philosophy, ethics, or systematic theology. Teaching experience in the areas of worldview and philosophy at the college level and consistent involvement in a local church are highly valued. All faculty in GCU’s College of Theology are required to sign and teach in accordance with the university’s Doctrinal and Ethical Positions Statements and the College of Theology Covenant. If necessary, additional materials such as a sample sermon or lesson may be requested.
Functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducts classes, teaching subjects which are relevant to the learning needs of the students and facilitates engaging individual and group instructional activities.
- Assists in developing and formulating the curriculum, develops instructional strategies related to gen ed goals and objectives, and coordinates within other instructors, primarily within the area of Christian worldview.
- Mentors students, engages in scholarly activities and participates in service activities.
- Assists students in achieving course objectives and learning outcomes.
- Provides students with substantive feedback and critical evaluation in a timely manner.
- Utilizes available technology for instruction, such as PowerPoint presentations, LMS, and other internet resources.
- Remains current in field(s) of expertise through ongoing, continuous learning; fulfills required faculty development sessions.
- Participates actively in department, college and university committees.
- May participate in research activities and/or collecting, analyzing, and reporting data.
- Formal role within governance of college as the primary faculty representative for a specified course or family of courses as a Course Lead.
- Provide leadership and advisement related to personnel, operations, curriculum, and instruction within the college related to a specified course or courses.
- Assist in planning, training, and communications as they relate to the gen ed.
- Develops resources that support professional development and faculty instruction of Christian worldview as well as the integration of faith and learning within the larger university.
- The CWV Course Lead for the ground campus serves on GCU’s One Foundation Committee and bears limited administrative responsibility in support of the committee’s chair.
- Other duties as assigned.