HVAC and Controls Manager
Grand Canyon University is seeking an HVAC and Controls Manager. The HVAC and Controls Manager maintains and coordinates the operations and repairs for all mechanical HVAC equipment onsite, Controls and Plumbing. This person will work directly with Director/VP of Facilities team to write/approve technical MOPs for mechanical repairs/maintenance as well as prepare quotes and bids to get work performed.
This position manages all mechanical HVAC, energy controls and plumbing operations for University consisting of multiple on- site facilities. Plans and implements capital renewal and replacement projects for the campus and develops and implements operating policies and procedures.
The HVAC and Controls Manager assists the Director of Facilities Operations in developing long range plans for upgrading mechanical and plumbing equipment. Develops, documents, and administers preventive maintenance programs for all mechanical HVAC, controls and plumbing equipment. This position supervises the performance of emergency and routine maintenance on campus. Enforces federal regulations governing environmental protection, the handling of hazardous materials and hazardous waste, and the use of chemical substances and materials.
- Develop departmental policies and procedures for assigned areas of responsibility, establishing priorities for scheduled mechanical HVAC, energy controls and plumbing services within the area of responsibility, administering preventive maintenance programs, inspecting equipment to determine repair or replacement needs, and supervising the performance of emergency and routine maintenance on campus facilities within the area of responsibility.
- Ensure that all supervisors/leads are provided appropriate direction, leadership, guidance, support, and training to enable the advancement of their knowledge and experience in overall mechanical HVAC, Controls, and Plumbing.
- Help to reduce the likelihood of a disruption of services (i.e., heating, cooling, plumbing) provided to the University campus and assures around-the-clock responsiveness to failures or emergency situations to anticipate requirements for exceptional service efforts, assisting in developing appropriate contingency plans to respond to those needs and other emergency conditions, assisting in the coordination of contracted services beyond the capabilities of the University to handle, remaining available for on-call technical support for emergency responses, and assisting with efforts to restore the University environment to normalcy.
- Direct management of teams engaged in mechanical HVAC, Energy Controls and plumbing.
- Requisition tools, equipment, and supplies.
- Inspect completed work for conformance to blueprints, specifications, and standards. Establish or adjusts work procedures, and studies production schedules and estimates worker hour requirements for completion of job assignment. Responsible for the successful management and completion of projects.
- Responsible for the definition of customer project requirements.
Own, manage and implement the project schedule as a project management and client management visibility tool, establish schedule to meet or exceed customer requirements. Provide ongoing updates to internal team and customers regarding project status and progress. Work to balance competing customer production priorities and negotiate compromises among projects.
- Diagnose and repair complex control systems malfunctions requiring extensive knowledge of a variety of electronic or digital controls systems and ability to test and write modifications in multiple languages of systems software. Provide proposals for retrofits, upgrades and/or enhancements to existing equipment.
- Project planning
- Examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Provides leadership and direction for all unskilled and skilled trade employees in the mechanical HVAC, energy controls and plumbing team depending on the functional unit assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Facilities Management, Construction Management, Engineering or equivalent field of study or equivalent work experience required
- 3-5 years of experience in facility management or related field required
- Knowledge of Data Center Operations and System configurations preferred
- 5 years of experience in critical electrical industry preferred
- Professional affiliations preferred (24x7, IFMA, and Data Center Pulse)
- EPA Certification is preferred
- Contractor’s license is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of building infrastructure systems required
- Working knowledge of typical mechanical, Niagara Controls, electrical, plumbing, and life safety systems associated to Critical Environments preferred
- Must work weekends, holidays, overtime as required, and be ""on call"" on a 24 x 7 basis for emergency situations as needed.
- Required to perform rotating weekly on-call shifts for after hour facilities emergencies
- Must have a valid driver’s license with clean driving record
- Must pass pre-employment background investigation
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.