Housing General Maintenance Crew Member
Grand Canyon University's Facilities department is currently seeking a Housing General Maintenance Crew Member position. This position under general supervision, performs a wide variety of maintenance repair, installation, alteration and construction activities involving carpentry, flooring, roofing, drywall, painting, door hardware and minor concrete and asphalt repair work to improve, maintain, remodel and renovate campus or partner facilities, buildings, and fixtures. Tasks will include maintenance of plumbing, electrical, heating, ventilating and/or air conditioning facilities and equipment, at a level not requiring formal licensure. May be required to perform tasks of other unlicensed trades, such as light equipment operation.
- Performs a variety of routine maintenance duties.
- Monitors, maintains, and performs repair to building electrical systems, such as lighting tubes replacement, fixtures lenses; assists licensed electricians with non-technical repairs as appropriate.
- Monitors performance of heating, ventilation, and cooling systems; performs non-technical maintenance tasks such as cleaning of heating and cooling fan coil units and filter replacement
- Monitors and performs maintenance of plumbing systems, to include standard repair of leaking fixtures, cleaning obstructed waste lines, and/or performing non-technical modifications to plumbing and water supply systems; assists licensed plumbers, as appropriate.
- Performs carpentry maintenance tasks including routine sheetrock/drywall installation and/or repair, window replacement, cabinet and countertop replacement, painting and texturing, and door and hardware installation; paints interior and exterior finishes, as appropriate.
- Repairs and Installs various flooring such as carpet, tiles, wood and vinyl.
- Makes minor repairs to horizontal surfaces such as streets and sidewalks using asphalt, concrete and/or brick pavers
- May perform general maintenance, custodial and trash removal tasks.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices
- Maintains appropriate records of work performed within computerized work management system
- Repairs and maintains physical structures of all campus and partner buildings and housing facilities using hand tools and power tools.
- Performs preventive building maintenance duties, caulk windows and doors, repair and replace broken windows and hang items on walls.
- Work requires ability to climb extended ladders to reach high places.
- Performs the following from work orders: assess situation; assemble necessary tools and materials, completes work and records completion time in work order system.
- Preserves physical appearance of all buildings/facilities
- Cleans all floors, floor coverings, walls, windows, window coverings, kitchens, restrooms as needed during inspection
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in general maintenance role which involved essential job functions as outlined above preferred.
- Industrial or trade school graduate or certificates preferred
- Knowledge of one or more building trades
- Skilled in use of welding tools
- Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Physical ability to perform moderately heavy physical work which includes lifting and crawling, and to remain outdoors in all climatic conditions.
- Knowledge of and skill in use of standard tools, equipment, materials, method and practices of general maintenance task
- Ability to accept responsibility and account for personal actions
- Ability to pay attention to the minute details of the assigned tasks
- Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines
- Ability to comprehend technical topics and specialized information
- Ability to find a solution for issues/obstacles in completing work that aligns with best practice maintenance repair; ability to determine when issue needs to be elevated to management to resolve.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of general maintenance.
- Basic understanding of and ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics drawings
- Ability to use basic shop math applications.
- Basic understanding of electrical, hydraulic and other mechanical systems
- Willingness to learn new skills and methods
- Ability to read English language sufficiently to understand written work orders and instructions as well as directions for the proper mixture, use and disposal/storage of any cleaners or chemicals needed for job tasks and for the proper use of power tools.
- Ability to demonstrate safe operation of tools, equipment and machinery required in job tasks.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of the job, including heavy work with exposure to desert heat for prolonged periods of time.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.