Hotel Manager - Grand Canyon University
Grand Canyon University! One of Arizona’s leading institutions of higher learning.
Located in the Valley of Sun in the heart of Phoenix, Arizona, GCU is a regionally accredited, private, nondenominational Christian University.
Reporting to the Dean of the College of Business, manages property operations on a day-to-day basis to assure optimum performance and continual improvement in the following results areas: financial performance, sales/marketing, facilities management, guest and employee safety and security, guest services/satisfaction, maintaining quality accommodations, food quality and servicing, and staff performance and development. Unique to this position is the role of being an ‘educator’ in terms of training and mentoring Grand Canyon University students as employees as well as involved in the university’s hospitality program.
What you will do:
- Ensures staff and property services and accommodations meet guest expectations and satisfaction by ensuring staff are well trained and guest rooms and amenities are functioning appropriately
- Hires, trains, motivates and develops staff and ensures performance expectations, policies, procedures and standards are well communicated
- Coordinates with the CoB faculty and hospitality students in providing real-world experience and internships working at the property via training module development and execution
- Takes responsibility for financial actions and budgeting; maximizes revenues and flow through to meet financial performance expectations
- Manages all sales activities of the property including setting and achieving goals, implementing sales and marketing activities, and developing relationships with potential businesses in the local market to increase visibility
- Prepares and manages property budgets and forecasts; reconciles all financial accounts
- Promotes a 100% guest satisfaction throughout the property through employee customer service activities
- Ensures guest related issues are resolved in a manner consistent with the company’s goals and objectives
- Ensures the property’s internal/external appearance is maintained to standards
- Monitors collection of in-house guest balances and direct bill receivables, if any, commission payments by vendors and issuance of refund checks
- Orders, manages and/or monitors monthly inventory of supplies and equipment and ensures purchases and costs are within approved budget
- Negotiates contracts with vendors and equipment suppliers
- Provides relief and/or back-up duties as needed for all functions
- Ensures all staff are well trained and have acquired any appropriate county/state certifications (such as food service)
- May work weekends, evenings or holidays as necessary
What you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to the hospitality industry, or similar, from a regionally accredited institution.
- Five years’ work experience in the hospitality industry including 3 years hospitality management experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and directly-related work experience may be substituted upon supervisor’s approval.
- Previous GM experience.
Why work at GCU:
- Exceptional workplace benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401K savings plan
- Free Covered parking, access to campus activity center and onsite gym
- We also offer full-time employees an Education Tuition Discount Program of up to 100% of tuition costs
- Generous holiday and paid time off package - we aren’t kidding, it’s good!