Grand Canyon University is seeking a full time Floor Technician. This position is primarily responsible for the overall floor maintenance of hard surface and carpet (stripping, waxing, buffing, shampooing, extraction, & bonneting) areas that include offices, classrooms, lobbies, entrances, stairwells, residence halls and apartments and any other GCU spaces.
- Ensures cleaning supplies and equipment needed for daily shift are available and accessible.
- Observes safety and security procedures at all times.
- Performs preventative maintenance check on all equipment prior to use at beginning and end of the shift.
- Handles floor care, including routine mopping (dry and damp), buffing and burnishing on hard surfaces, stripping, waxing, polishing, power washing.
- Provides floor maintenance; including but not limited to, vacuuming, shampooing, minimum bonneting and extracting carpets, stairwells which includes concrete sealing and high dusting.
- Completing daily work logs and/or monthly activity reports.
- Provide other cleaning services: such as, dusting, routine restroom, office, and classroom cleaning.
- Assist with new members of team in demonstrating proper floor care procedures.
- Position performs a variety of routine and special-event cleaning tasks to maintain the campus and partner office buildings, classrooms, student union, recreation center, athletic buildings, dining halls, and any other properties as assigned.
- Performs all cleaning tasks when assigned to non-office spaces, such as classrooms, fitness centers, or gyms.
- Follows all University safety protocols, including wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and safe handling of all cleaning and disinfecting chemicals. This would go under responsibilities.
- Other cleaning and maintenance duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, or equivalent, is required.
- Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- A minimum of 2 years’ work experience in floor cleaning capacity or related work experience.
- A combination of relevant work experience, education and training may be substituted upon approval of the hiring manager.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend assignments.
- Willing to comply with all University safety protocols
- Work requires constant attention and awareness to safety, security, and health issues about self and employees.
- Must be willing and able to complete specialty cleaning classes as needed. (ex: floor work, carpet cleaning, window cleaning, power washing, etc.)
- Knowledgeable of janitorial products, green cleaning products and cleaning agents and the best uses for such with regard to commercial cleaning as well as the proper disposal of chemicals.
- Possess considerable knowledge of the operation, use and care of vacuum cleaners, scrubbing machines, polishing machines and general housekeeping equipment.
- Work constantly involves the use of cleaning chemicals, compounds, solvents or biodegradable chemicals which may be inhaled or unintentionally splashed on skin and eyes.
- Occasionally may require carrying portable "backpack" vacuums.
- Frequently involves the operation of cleaning equipment such as floor scrubbers and buffers.
- Frequently involves pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, holding, carrying, reaching, reaching above the shoulders, stooping, bending at the waist, bending at the knees, kneeling, bending side to side, crouching, standing on step stools or small ladders, balancing.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.