Grand Canyon University is seeking an Environmental Specialist. They will report directly to the Health & Safety Manager and carry out duties of the department which include assisting the department with compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, implementing an environmental management system and instilling a positive culture that promotes the safety of all university faculty, staff, and students.
The Environmental Specialist will have experience working with environmental regulations to assist in fulfilling departmental responsibilities. This position will require the ability to work independently at times while conducting inspections and performing assigned duties throughout the university campus.
- Work with programs to include federally mandated Clean Water Act (CWA), Clean Air Act (CAA), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), and various related programs.
- Responsibilities will include conducting environmental sampling, completing campus inspections, and inventorying materials and equipment as required by the university’s multiple?permits; assist sustainability efforts related to hazardous waste minimization and recycling.
- Record the completion of inspections and findings, escalating discovered issues to management with corrective action recommendations and immediately corrects correcting issues within scope of authority.
- Perform and document jobsite inspections and audits with special emphasis on hazard identification/recognition and observation of unsafe behaviors as designated; may serve as secondary assist in certain audits/inspections.
- Participate in development/execution of environmental program requirements such as chemical inventory, safety data sheet management and data entry into chemical management software.
- Conduct or assist with Job Hazard Assessments (JHAs) for employee tasks to identify hazards and recommend appropriate mitigation which can include the development of various administrative controls such as training, procedures, processes, PPE, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, or related area, or equivalency; five years’ experience in Industrial Hygiene; and a commitment to provide excellent customer service required. Master’s degree in Industrial Hygiene preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience in related field
- Must have valid US driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must pass pre-employment background check
- Must work overtime and weekend hours if needed for emergency issues.
- Ability to read and interpret technical materials pertaining to fire and safety codes, blueprints, emergency management plans, building and equipment specifications, health and safety laws and standards preferred.
- Experience training or teaching and preparing general environmental course work.
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience working with regulations such as EPCRA, (Tier II reporting & HMIS) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as well as Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and International Fire Code (IFC), and local and state regulations.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.