Grand Canyon University is seeking a full time Safety Technician. This position is responsible for Conducting periodic safety audits and inspections of identified fixed equipment throughout the campus to ensure operational readiness, safe use and regulatory compliance including first aid kits, AED’s, blue safety lights, fire alarm and fire protection systems, emergency communication systems, fire extinguishers, safety showers, chemical spill kits, and other vital safety equipment and systems.
- Records the completion of inspections and findings, escalating discovered issues to management with corrective action recommendations and immediately corrects correcting issues within scope of authority.
- Performs and documents jobsite inspections and audits with special emphasis on hazard identification/recognition and observation of unsafe behaviors as designated; may serve as secondary assist in certain audits/inspections.
- Participates in development/execution of hazard communication program requirements such as chemical inventory, safety data sheet management and data entry into chemical management software.
- Develops general safety training and gets final approval of content from management; Conducts general safety training to individuals and groups under the direction of EHS&EM staff.
- Assist EHS&EM staff and/or supervisors with the investigation of incidents that result in property damage, occupational illness or personal injury to determine causal factors for prevention of future incidents.
- Respond to incidents as directed by EHS&EM personnel to ensure the safety of staff, faculty, students, and visitors.
- Assist the Emergency Management staff with scheduling and conducting emergency drills per the GCU/GCE Emergency Action Plan which includes fire drills, chemical spill response, homeland security, medical emergency response, etc.
- Assist with the development and updating of EHS&EM policies and procedures under the direction of EHS&EM staff.
- May participate in various safety meetings as assigned representing the EHS&EM Department.
- Maintains EHS&EM recordkeeping requirements, performing trend analysis as needed and providing recommendations for program improvement.
- Conducts or assists with Job Hazard Assessments (JHAs) for employee tasks to identify hazards and recommend appropriate mitigation which can include the development of various administrative controls such as training, procedures, processes, PPE, etc.
- Assist with investigating and evaluating hazardous conditions and employee safety concerns. Reports and documents findings to EHS&EM staff with corrective action recommendations.
- High school diploma
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Emergency Management, Fire Science, Public Safety or related field is preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience in related field
- Ability to read and interpret technical materials pertaining to fire and safety codes, blueprints, emergency management plans, building and equipment specifications, health and safety laws and standards is preferred.
- OSHA 30 Hour General Industry or Construction or ability to obtain within the first 90 days of employment
- Must have valid US driver’s license and clean driving record
- Able to pass pre-employment background check
- Ability to work full-time 8am-5pm Mon-Fri schedule at the GCU Main Campus, 3300 W Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85017.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.