Disability Services Coordinator
Grand Canyon University’s office of Academic Compliance and Regulation is seeking a full time Disability Services Coordinator. This position provides departmental assistance and customer service support within the Disability Services office to facilitate the administration of programs which ensures all students have equal access to the University systems, programs, and facilities in accordance with the spirit of civil rights laws prohibiting discrimination against otherwise qualified students with disabilities.
- Assists in facilitating or delivering reasonable accommodation for the students’ online environment (virtual classrooms) and ground campus to ensure programmatic access to Grand Canyon University including testing accommodations, note-taking services, and printed materials in alternative formats as well as assistive technology.
- On a daily basis, assists Department Management and/or Administrators with advocacy, guidance, crisis intervention, referrals and assists students in pursuit of educational goals.
- Receives and responds to routine inquiries regarding disability services provided via phone, TTY, email, in-person, internet by students and parents. Elevates inquiries to either the Disability Services Administrators or Department Management as necessary.
- Assists in scheduling, facilitating and supervising students’ class testing in house for those approved for accommodation. Orients students to testing policies and procedures.
- Monitors students’ progress in individual online classes and tracks progress and completion of assignments.
- Maintains confidential databases/logs of student information including student monitoring activities, phone conversations, testing on a regular basis as required.
- Coordinates with vendors for assistive technology and books in alternative formats, and ensure available products are published on the University’s website for eligible students’ access.
- As necessary, alerts or notifies Department Management of the need for student wellness checks.
- Assists staff in coordinating seating and reservations at annual commencement ceremonies, other events throughout each semester and/or accessing residence halls or other buildings on campus. May assist students who are non-ambulatory with access to the events and buildings, such as maneuvering, steering or pushing wheelchairs into position.
- Ensures all required communications is disseminated to eligible students and faculty regarding testing processes, policy changes, etc..
- Provides coverage, as necessary, in the absence of the Administrators.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in counseling, psychology, special education, sociology, or similar.
- Six months’ work experience in an office or administrative capacity or a role providing similar services and assistance.
- Familiarity and understanding of available assistive technologies in order to assist students.
- A skill and ability to communicate in a non-English language or American Sign Language is helpful but not required.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.