Director/Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine
Grand Canyon University is seeking a Director/Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine.
- Will oversee and lead the GCU Athletics Sports Medicine Department and is responsible to ensure medical care for all D1 Athletic Programs and the Cheer/Dance Programs
- Will provide direct support and coverage for assigned sport programs
- Directs and oversees GCU Athletics Sports Medicine Clinic operations, strategic planning, policies, and procedures
- Manages, hires, and supervises sports medicine staff
- Prepares and maintains accurate and up to date medical records for student-athletes and monitors insurance
- Continuous improvement to the institution’s concussion management program for new and returning student-athletes.
- Assess and reports the progress of recovering athletes to physicians, physical therapist, Athletic Trainers, and coaches.
- Evaluate individual members of the staff and provide constructive feedback to continue professional growth and development
- Serve as a liaison to doctors and other allied health professionals to deliver care to student-athletes
- Collaborate with physicians, physical therapist, Athletic Trainers, and coaches to develop and implement comprehensive rehabilitation programs for athletic participation
- Perform general administrative tasks, such as keeping records, insurance reports or writing care reports.
- Delegate responsibilities and projects to appropriate staff members to empower individuals and provide professional development opportunities
- Assists in planning, documentation and implementation of comprehensive athletic injury or illness prevention protocols
- Coordination and scheduling of medical coverage for practice and home & away competitions
- Instruct coaches, athletes, parents, medical personnel, and/or community members in the care and prevention of athletic injuries
- Compliance with all federal and state laws regarding the confidentiality of student-athlete information
- Oversee all on field/court assessments and emergency care to injured athletes at events both on and off campus.
- Budget oversight for Sports Medicine Department to ensure compliance within approved parameters
- A sound knowledge of competencies and treatment techniques as an Athletic Trainer including modalities trained to assist in the rehabilitation and prevention of injuries
- Assist sports performance staff in developing rehabilitation programs for injured student-athletes
- Assists in maintenance of equipment and ensures the department has adequate supplies, linens, training kits, etc. to carry out its function
- Coordinates imaging for basketball home contests
- Maintains and schedules repairs for all equipment and facilities for safe use
- Maintains a clean, functioning, and orderly facility
- Researches and promotes discussion of optimal testing and evaluation principles based on the latest information and data
- Assists team coaches for all sports in recruiting student-athletes by providing an interesting and enthusiastic explanation of the Sports Medicine program
- Make available basic information to professional scouts that may assist in evaluation of players
- Education/Mentoring - Keeps informed of current research and trends in all areas of athletic performance and strives to constantly evaluate and update all training programs
- Manages and oversees continuing education program for staff and interns
- Builds a library of research and professional development resources for staff and interns
- Establish communication and ensure enforcement of the rules and regulations concerning student-athlete expectations: conduct, appearance, road games, punctuality and other areas as deemed appropriate
- Collaborate with Sports Performance, Sports Medicine (including Physical Therapist and Team Physician), Nutritionist, and Sport Coaches to create an optimal training environment for student-athletes
- Organize and direct daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly departmental staff meetings to lead and unify staff with the vision of the Sports Medicine Department
- Collaborate with the Director of Sports Performance to lead and unify staff through joint staff meetings
- Collaborates with the Athletic Training Academic program in assigning and monitoring student trainers
- Collaborates with the GCU Health and Wellness Center for assigned treatment or preventative care plans (e.g., lab work, imaging)
- Collaborates with Office of Student Care to ensure support and education is provided to student-athletes in the area of Mental Health
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Assist with the transportation of student-athletes as necessary
- Bachelor's Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferably in sports or health sciences discipline, (e.g. Athletic Training, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Movement Science or other related field)
- Current NATABOC certification
- Eligible for athletic training licensure by the Arizona State Board of Medical Examiners.
- CPR / AED / First Aid certified
- Four years of athletics administration experience in Sports Medicine; NCAA Division I experience preferred
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work with a diverse group of people, in intense or emergency medical situations.
- Must be able to meet continuing education requirements as mandated.
- Must be able to satisfy the athletic event schedule for travel and work on weekends and evenings.
- Master's degree in related field from an accredited institution.
- Supervisory experience.
- Certification with the National Strength and Conditional Association (CSCS) or Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches Association (SCCC)