Club Sports Head Coach - Men’s Rugby
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a full time Club Sports Head Coach for Men’s Rugby. This position is responsible for planning, directing and maintaining growth in the club sports teams in their assigned specialty and creating a winning, competitive sports team.
Compliance Responsibilities: This is a non NCAA athletics sponsored team; however all club sports staff must be knowledgeable of regulations and abide by Division I and affiliated Club Sports association rules when interacting with any GCU student athletes.
- Develops an effective plan for program development (growth and competition) and effectively executes; chooses the appropriate associations and tournament competitions for displaying team’s talent and competitive readiness.
- Establishes realistic budget (GCU sponsored and self funded) for apparel and equipment; manages to approved budget.
- Observes students during practice to encourage good athletic skills and provide guidance for improvements. Assesses student-athlete capabilities. Explains and demonstrates use of any apparatus and equipment necessary to perform the sport.
- Ensures all aspects of club sports programs comply with University standards and conference and national affiliation rules and regulations. Identifies potential risks and establishes plans for correction as approved by Club Sports management.
- Coaches, counsels, advises and mentors student athletes.
- Explains and demonstrates the principles, techniques and methods of regulating movement of the human body, kinesiology, bio-mechanics, etc. to achieve proficiency in the assigned sport.
- Promotes good sportsmanship behavior and enforces discipline, establishes and oversees penalties for breach of standards by members of the team.
- Manages student-athlete recruiting programs ensuring year over year team growth and stability.
- Organizes most effective competitions and tournaments for assigned sport.
- Ensures appropriate resources are utilized, strength conditioning and training, to develop team members to compete most effectively.
- May perform duties which require irregular hours, out of town and/or overnight travel.
- CPR, First Aid and Coaches’ Safety Training certifications required; AED helpful.
- Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check.
- Must be able to lawfully accept employment in the U.S.
- Must be willing to work irregular hours, evenings and weekends, and available for overnight travel for team competitions.
- Advanced knowledge of the fundamentals of assigned sports including game rules, regulations and officiating; well versed in game/competition development strategy.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills including ability to establish and build a good rapport and effective working relationships with student athletes, coaches, assistant coaches, administrators, college faculty and staff, alumni, professional colleagues, the community or general public and representatives of local and national affiliations.
- Has a thorough understanding of human physiology and the needed physical conditioning needed for peak performance in the assigned sport.
- Ability to effectively coach, advise and motivate student-athletes.
- Knowledgeable of and ability to understand that club sports are heavily regulated through the University, NCAA and appropriate association rules; willingness to strictly adhere to the rules.
- Sound judgment, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite software and familiarity with team, game, meet management software preferred.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.