Campus Safety Guard (Part Time)
WHY JOIN THE GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY TEAM AS A CAMPUS SAFETY GUARD?
- $15.50 per hour
- Work with students on our vibrant college campus
- Work closely with the Grand Canyon University Police Department
This is your opportunity to be part of a growing university where dedicated Public Safety professionals make a positive impact on our campus every day. If that sounds exciting to you, we want to talk to you. Apply today!
Campus Safety Guards monitor access to our beautiful campus facilities, patrol the campus, respond to emergencies, document incidents, conduct investigations, enforce parking regulations and interact with campus communities. Typical responsibilities will include both guard assignments (e.g. security booth, front desk) and patrol assignments; but assignments may only involve one area based on business need. This position must be able to work various shifts including; daytime, evening and night shifts.
- Guard Assignment: (Majority of shift assignments)
- Assigned to a specific campus/building stationery access point (some time may be spent on patrol or performing other stationary control desk duties) to ensure that all personnel entering the campus are properly identified to allow access.
- Patrol Assignment:
- Using a motorized vehicle (golf cart or car) or on foot or bicycle, patrols all areas of the campus, including classrooms and physical plant (buildings, offices, arena, storage, warehouse, parking lots) to observe and report suspicious activity and to ensure buildings are safe and secure free from hazards, e.g., broken windows or locks, broken water pipes, and writes citations for parking and moving violations. Enforces Student Code of Conduct as patrolling.
- Provides escort services for visitors, students, staff and faculty as necessary; provide other public assistance such as lockout services, jump-starts, and routine information.
- Watches for, reports and responds to reports of irregularities, such as security breaches, facility and safety hazards, and emergency situations; contacts emergency responders, such as police, fire and/or ambulance personnel, as required.
- Patrols and monitors assigned parking areas and/or parking garages to provide public security and assistance.
- Conducts interviews and preliminary investigations concerning complaints, accidents, violations of student conduct code or calls for assistance to record information on thefts, physical violence and or other incidents; advises individuals on how to proceed; may cite individuals under Student Conduct Code. Requests assistance depending on the severity of the incident.
- Provides assistance for emergencies such as medical, bomb threats, and fires, gives emergency first aid, which may include CPR and use of an AED; determines if an ambulance or other medical assistance is needed.
- Models and supports a community-oriented approach to providing safety and security.
- Interacts with faculty, staff, students and community with positive demeanor and professional manner so as to build effective relationships between public safety and GCU community members.
- Participates in disaster/emergency drills and recommends changes based upon drills and effective evacuation.
- Cooperates with campus staff and external law enforcement agencies while conducting investigations; Testifies in court as needed.
- Supports the statutes of Arizona and the policies of Grand Canyon University.
- High school diploma required.
- Associate’s Degree or College credits in Criminal Justice or related study, preferred.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Certifications in CPR, First Aid and First Responder are preferred.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position and daily responsibilities. Must have physical stamina to chase on foot, apprehend, subdue and restrain.
- Must have a valid driver's license and clean driving record.
- Must successfully pass a drug test.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
#gcu #highereducation #security #campussafety #parttime