Assistant Women's Basketball Coach
Grand Canyon University is searching for an Assistant Coach for Women’s Basketball. Under the supervision of the Head Coach, the Assistant Coach assists with the management and administration of all activities related to his/her sport and exercises direct supervision of recruiting, training, and coaching student-athletes participating in the sport. The Assistant Coach is fully responsible for compliance with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules and regulations as well as Conference rules and University policies governing intercollegiate athletics.
Assists head coach in all aspects of the designated sports program. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Player Development/Coaching
- Under the Direction of the head coach, provide coaching in both a team and individual setting to improve sport specific skills.
- Participate in the creation of practice plans, assist in game preparation, advise on game strategy, and provide direct coaching and assistance during games.
- Run practice in the absence of the head coach.
- Research and identify the latest trends and techniques in coaching and playing.
- Under the direction of the head coach, research, evaluate, contact and recruit players of high character, scholarship and athletic ability to compete for the designated sport program.
- Market the designated sports program to prospective recruits, community members, and club members both domestically and internationally.
- Travel extensively to evaluate talent and market the GCU designated sports program to potential recruits.
- Assist the head coach with competition scheduling.
- Assist the head coach in the planning, marketing and operation of sports camps.
- Ensures all aspects of the designated sports program complies with University standards and conference and national affiliation rules and regulations. Identifies potential risk and helps in establishing criteria and plans for correction.
- Promotes good sportsmanship behavior and enforces discipline, establishes and oversees penalties for breach of standards by members of the team.
- Participate actively in promotion of GCU athletics and campus events.
- Other duties as assigned by the head coach, athletic director/athletic director designee.
- May perform duties which require irregular hours, out of town and/or overnight travel.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least one year of intercollegiate and/or elite level sport specific coaching and/or playing and training experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of Division 1 sport specific program and NCAA rules.
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record.
- CPR, First Aid and Coaches’ Safety Training certifications required.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must be able to lawfully accept employment in the U.S.
- Proficiency with computers and MS suite of software applications.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- Master's Degree.
- Experience coaching in NCAA Division I.
- AED certification.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.