Assistant Dance Team Coach
Grand Canyon University’s Dance Team is seeking a Full-Time Assistant Dance Coach in the training, mentoring, and development of the cheerleaders and mascots, as well as other spirit team members, to achieve peak performance as an individual and as a team.
1. Assist the Head Dance Team Coach in implementing comprehensive practice plans and explaining and demonstrating proper dance techniques to achieve proficiency and excellence and maintain safe practices.
2. Help to organize and facilitate annual tryouts.
3. Assist with selecting and ordering practice gear, and work with Canyon Promotions to create branded designs. Assist with designing and coordinating the use of equipment such as gameday uniforms, nationals’ costumes, rhinestone design and application, themed apparel, poms, signs, flags, etc.
4. Work in collaboration with Head Dance Coach in directing all aspects of student-athletes’ performance during practices and games to provide feedback and guide progression. Assist with recording practice and performance film.
5. Manage team communication and sharing event/calendar updates. Communicate consistently with cheer coaches, band directors, and spirit program manager to assist the Head Dance Team Coach in coordination of spirit program events and activities
6. Maintain a team culture that aligns with GCU’s mission statement
7. Assist with managing the implementation and tracking of preseason and postseason training
8. Tailor MBB and WBB cue sheets to meet the needs of GCU Dance Team in-game, and distribute to staff
9. Travel to camps, games, tournaments, recruiting events and competitions as selected by the Head Dance Team Coach
10. Work directly with a team of support staff to the Head Dance Team Coach, comprised of strength and conditioning coach, athletic trainer, spirit program manager and student assistant, and attend weekly meeting
11. Assist the Head Dance Team Coach in implementing team photo shoots with GCU Marketing
12. Attend game entertainment meetings on a weekly basis as well as athletic marketing meetings as needed with the Head Dance Team Coach
13. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years of successful work experience as a dance team coach.
- Must perform duties which require irregular hours, out of town and/or overnight travel as needed.
- Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- CPR, First Aid and Coaches’ Safety Training certifications required; AED preferred.
- Must pass pre-employment background investigation.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.