Assistant Coach - Women's Volleyball
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking an Assistant Coach for Women’s Volleyball. The Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting the Head Coach with the management and administration of all activities related to Women’s Volleyball and exercises direct supervision of recruiting, training, and coaching student-athletes participating in the sport. The Assistant Coach is fully responsible for compliance with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules and regulations as well as Conference rules and University policies governing intercollegiate athletics.
- Ensures all aspects of athletic programs comply with University standards and conference and national affiliation rules and regulations. Identifies potential risk and helps in establishing criteria and plans for correction.
- Coaches, counsels, advises and mentors support staff and student-athletes..
- Effectively assist in coaching a competitive sport program in a manner, which promotes sportsmanship among athletes, ensuring compliance with all NCAA conference, Western Athletic Conference, and institutional rules and regulations.
- Effectively assist in recruiting qualified student athletes to participate in the University’s athletic program per NCAA rules, and effectively promote Grand Canyon University academic and athletic programs to potential students.
- Ensure that players associated with the sport program are eligible under NCAA and Western Athletic Conference regulations.
- Assist in developing and implementing clinic(s), summer camp(s), and on-campus tryouts.
- Effectively monitor student athlete academic progress; refer or counsel where appropriate, and motivate the athlete.
- Explains and demonstrates the principles, techniques and methods in the assigned activity or sport during practice and competition.
- Makes recommendations in matters of scheduling practice and competition, budget preparation and expenditures/monitoring, and prepares various reports.
- Assists and/or executes program development, develops strategies for competitions.
- Promotes GCU Athletics and may attend various events.
- May perform duties which require irregular hours, out of town and/or overnight travel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 1 year work experience in a similar capacity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills including ability to establish and build a good rapport and effective working relationships with student athletes, coaches, assistant coaches, administrators, college faculty and staff, alumni, professional colleagues, the community or general public and representatives of local and national affiliations.
- Student and diversity oriented.
- Advanced knowledge of the fundamentals of assigned sports including game rules, regulations and officiating; well versed in game development strategy.
- Strong leader who can effectively motivate staff to deliver performance results.
- Knowledgeable of University, NCAA and WAC rules and regulations.
- Certification in NCAA off-campus recruiting or ability to pass the testing requirements.
- Ability to recruit high-quality talent on a local and/or national level.
- Sound judgment, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite software and familiarity with team, game, meet management software preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record and occasionally operates University vehicles.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED required
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must be able to lawfully accept employment in the U.S.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.