Assistant Cheer Coach
Grand Canyon University is looking for an Assistant Coach for Cheer to assist the head coach in the training, mentoring and development of the cheerleaders and mascots, as well as other spirit team members to achieve peak performance as an individual and as a team.
Primary Responsibilities /Accountabilities/ Essential Functions:
- Collaborate with the Spirit Programs Manager and Head Coach to ensure all aspects of athletic programs comply with university standards and conference and national affiliation rules and regulations. Identifies risk and establishes criteria and plans for correction.
- Work in collaboration with the Spirit Programs Manager and Head Coach with recordkeeping and student-athlete certifications as required by NCAA and University guidelines. Ensure that athletes adhere to safety and compliance regulations.
- Explain and demonstrate the principles, techniques and methods of regulating movement of the human body, kinesiology, biomechanics, etc. to achieve proficiency in the assigned activity or sport.
- Assist with supervision of cheerleading team; discipline and counsel, supervise practices and training; travel with teams to all scheduled camps, games, tournaments, and competitions; assist with athlete recruitment, order required uniforms and market the Spirit Programs.
- Assist in choreographing routines for the GCU Cheerleaders to enhance fan involvement at athletic events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Collegiate level coaching experience preferred
- Minimum 2 years work experience as a coach for cheerleading or dance team.
- CPR, First Aid and Coaches’ Safety Training certifications required; AED preferred.
- Must work evenings, holidays and weekends and travel overnight as needed.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must have a Valid driver’s license and driving record that meets University requirements.