Grand Canyon University Athletics is now accepting applications for the position of Academic Coordinator. This position will provide primary academic support, counseling, and guidance in course selection, degree requirements, career planning, and programming for comprehensive student-athlete development, working collaboratively with other University Academic Support Services. This position requires consistent and open communication with coaches, administrators, support and student-athlete development staff, as well as a thorough understanding of NCAA and Western Athletic Conference guidelines and regulations. The position will report directly to the Assistant Athletic Director, Student-Athlete Development.
- Assist in the day-to-day operations of the Student-Athlete Development Center.
- Provide intensive academic support to assigned teams and/or student-athletes, including counseling and advising high risk student-athletes.
- Work one-on-one to develop and implement learning strategies and effective study skills within the framework of the students’ academic and athletic time demands.
- Monitor academic performance, prepare and implement individualized plans for at-risk student athletes, and ensure student-athletes meet institutional and NCAA eligibility requirements.
- Facilitate study hall.
- Help monitor student-athlete class attendance.
- Schedule tutor appointments.
- Gather data, organize information, and prepare weekly coaches' reports.
- Assist with registration process, certification for competition, and Academic Progress Rate (APR) data collection.
- Evaluate student transcripts and/or records.
- Assist with student-athlete development workshops and events, meet with recruits and their families on official visits, plan special events, and host honorary coaches for select games.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Education, Counseling, Sports Administration, or related field.
- Previous experience working with students at the collegiate level, preferably in an intercollegiate athletics environment, and must possess the ability to clearly establish, monitor, and maintain appropriate boundaries with student-athletes.
- Working knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Strong organizational skills, effective interpersonal skills, problem-solving ability, time management skills, attention to detail.
- Proficiency with computer software including: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and GradesFirst or similar database is preferred.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse population of students, coaches, staff, and university administrators.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- Master’s Degree, preferably in the field of Education, Counseling and/or Sports Administration.
- Experience in a student-athlete advising environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with academically challenged or at-risk students.
- Experience in using degree audit reports and student information systems.