Student Services Counselor - Online Division
Adjunct faculty candidates who are employed full time by Veteran’s Affairs and who are hired by GCU should have a waiver on file with the VA regarding employment with a for-profit educational institution. Waivers are available from the VA.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
As a Student Services Counselor for GCU’s Online Division, you will work directly with our current and prospective online students to advise them on degree program requirements, course selection and the financial aid application process. Your positive demeanor, passion for helping students and ability to work in a fast-paced, telephone-based environment are powerful skills towards ensuring long-term student success and retention.
Starting Salary: $43,000 per year with the potential to earn up to $60,000 after 2 years.
This position requires working out of our office in Phoenix, AZ (this is not a remote or virtual position).
- Counsels continuing students regarding University policy and procedures, registration, progression requirements and payment options (focused on responsible borrowing).
- Collects all required paperwork and documents for progression requirements and selected payment options (including financial aid reapplication).
- Ensures all matters related to academic compliance are attended to and/or resolved to ensure students are progressing toward their scheduled graduation date.
- Monitors student schedules to ensure only applicable courses related to degree are selected and satisfactory academic performance is achieved.
- Serves as a student advocate to navigate through university policies and procedures.
- Adheres to all University and/or DOE policies, procedures and compliance guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- At least 1 year previous experience in customer service and problem solving.
- The ability to comprehend facts and relay information to students.
- Superior customer service skills along with ability to represent the GCU brand in a highly professional manner.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, in a high-volume and fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent planning, organizational, multi-tasking, case-management and follow up skills.
- Good attention to detail and interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence and persuade.
- Proficient with the Internet and Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Cannot be delinquent or in default on a federal student loan as verified in your credit report. If in a rehabilitation program, your credit report must reflect that you are current, not delinquent, on your payments.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
Opportunities and Benefits:
- After six months of employment, opportunity to be considered for work from home and alternative work schedules (depending on department)
- An excellent work/life balance with generous PTO, paid holidays and employee appreciation days
- Free access to our health and fitness center, which includes a Health and Wellness Specialist
- 100% tuition coverage for employees seeking undergraduate and graduate degrees; generous tuition coverage applicable towards spouse and dependents
GCU’s Christian worldview has shaped the university’s mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University please visit us at www.gcu.edu.