Student Service Counselor - Traditional Ground Campus
Adjunct faculty candidates who are employed full time by Veteran’s Affairs and who are hired by GCU should have a waiver on file with the VA regarding employment with a for-profit educational institution. Waivers are available from the VA.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon University’s Ground Admissions group is seeking a full time Student Services Counselor. This position will be responsible for working with Admissions Counselors to monitor assigned students’ academic progress and use reports/indicators to identify and resolve potential issues which prevent the student from attaining a college degree.
- Counsels continuing students and/or parents regarding University policy and procedures, registration, progression requirements (focused on graduation date expedition) and payment options (focused on responsible borrowing), provides assistance to continuing students regarding policies and procedures and ensures students’ progress through programmatic milestones.
- Collects all required paperwork and documents for progression requirements and selected payment options (including FAFSA reapplication).
- Financially clears continuing students, ensuring all matters are appropriately attended to well in advance of the term commencing, incorporating funding strategies as needed to keep students in attendance, progressing toward their scheduled graduation date.
- Prior to tax season, works with continuing Financial Aid students to ensure understanding of the re-application process and timelines.
- Ensures all matters or issues related to academic compliance are attended to and/or resolved well in advance of the term commencing, incorporating intervention strategies, as needed, to keep students in attendance, progressing toward their scheduled graduation date.
- Works with continuing students to ensure understanding of the registration process and/or the steps to modify registration are communicated prior to the term commencing.
- Resolves any outstanding matters for continuing students via multiple University departments, which may include the Office of Academic Records, Classroom Operations, the Colleges or others as required.
- Resolves any outstanding C-Codes for continuing students via the Office of Financial Aid, including verification documents.
- Throughout the duration of the students’ programs, monitors student schedules to ensure only applicable courses related to degree are selected and satisfactory academic performance.
- Works with all Graduation Teammates to ensure students understand their financial package, answering questions and eliminating concerns about funding opportunities/logistics.
- Adheres to all University and/or DOE policies, procedures and compliance guidelines.
- Works closely with University departments to update student information and to resolve student account issues.
- Ensures students’ accounts are accurate and in good standing with plans in place if necessary. Collects and reviews required University payment option documents for accuracy. Maintains accounts to include balance resolution and accounts receivable collection and processing modifications through duration of program.
- Understands the operating procedures of other departments and incorporates those elements into daily workflow.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- Prior customer service experience is preferred.
- Work experience in higher education is preferred.
- Superior customer service skills and representation of the GCU brand in a highly professional manner.
- Excellent communications with a good command of the English language and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and persuade.
- Responds to student/parent questions and concerns in a timely manner providing appropriate information.
- Proficient with MS Office suite, (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and comfortable with navigating and maneuvering other databases and software becoming proficient with GCU systems within a short period of time.
- Ability to work in a high-volume, fast-paced work environment with constant phone or in-person contact with students on a daily basis.
- Must have good critical thinking, attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational, multi-tasking, case-management and follow up skills.
- An ability to help and guide students to clarify academic needs and objectives.
- Thorough and current knowledge of GCU educational programs, financial aid requirements, GCU financial policies, plans and options.
- Good time management skills in order to meet required timelines.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and cooperatively as a team member and willing to learn and work other student services’ functions.
- Must be available to work varied shifts, including evenings, weekends or holidays.
- Cannot be delinquent or in default on a federal student loan as verified in your credit report. If in a rehabilitation program, your credit report must reflect that you are current, not delinquent, on your payments.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU’s Christian worldview has shaped the university’s mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University please visit us at www.gcu.edu.