Grand Canyon University’s Communications and Public Affairs department is seeking a full time Staff Writer position. This role is responsible for identifying, researching and writing copy of a variety of internal GCU printed and electronic communication vehicles.
- Entry-level position works collaboratively within the News Bureau team to produce and coordinate a variety of electronic and printed communications vehicles targeted at students, faculty, staff, alumni and external audiences. These primarily include GCU Today (news.gcu.edu), the University’s primary news site; GCU Today Digest, a daily news summary that is distributed at midday via email to faculty and staff; GCU Today Magazine, a quarterly print publication; and GCU TV, videos that capture news and events on campus.
- Reports on campus news of all varieties, including events, academics and student life.
- Assists with internal communications to students, faculty and staff, as well as public relations efforts with outside media, and writing or editing occasional marketing literature. Work normally is routed to the Communications Manager, who heads the News Bureau team, for approval.
- Possesses strong reporting, interviewing and writing skills, displaying an eagerness to cultivate contacts on campus among administration, faculty, staff and students. This is a position for a self-starter with creative ideas, someone passionate about telling the stories of a fast-growing University. Circulation among the University’s various constituencies is required, and evening and weekend work is occasionally needed. Familiarity with the University and its culture is expected. A premium is placed on an ability to work quickly and on deadline, producing high-quality, accurate, timely writing on a consistent basis.
- Expected to assist with the maintenance of the GCU Today website (which is set up on a WordPress template) and to take and post photos as needed. The Staff Writer also will assist with the coordination of various aspects of special projects.
- Researches communications tools and methods successfully implemented at competitive institutions, offering ideas and suggestions that help the team remain current and responsive to changing communications priorities, options and technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree required (journalism or communications emphasis preferred).
- Excellent journalism reporting, interviewing and writing skills.
- Must be comfortable doing video interviews. Knowledge of video production also a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Availability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP style.
- Experience in formatting and distributing electronic publications and/or developing web content a plus.
- Experience using camcorders and still cameras a plus.
- Learns computer language/design techniques as necessary to create new communications options and modify existing publications and sites as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet navigation, a variety of Internet browsers and Internet tools.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.