Grand Canyon University is seeking a Senior Writer to join our Public Relations and Communications team. This role is responsible for identifying, researching and writing copy for a variety of internal GCU printed and electronic communications vehicles as part of the News Bureau team in the communications/public relations department. A variety of communication channels are utilized which are: GCU Today (University’s primary news site), GCU Magazine (Quarterly print publication) and GCU TV (Videos that capture news and events on campus). This senior role also assists with mentoring and overseeing others’ work to ensure overall quality communications deliverables.
Please provide 3-5 Clips or Writing Samples for Consideration.
- Works collaboratively with the communications team to produce and coordinate a variety of electronic and printed communication vehicles targeted to internal (current students, faculty, staff and alumni) and external audiences.
- Reports on campus news, which range from music/public events, academic issues and highlights, and student campus life.
- Contributes to all GCU communication as needed, GCU Today, GCU Magazine, GCU TV.
- Serves as a resource to internal University clients’ by assisting them in planning, editing and writing both marketing and non-marketing related, internally focused communications messages.
- Assists with internal communications and public relations efforts with outside media and editing and/or rewriting existing marketing copy as necessary. All copy is routed to Communications Manager for approval.
- Ensure that internal communications reflect the voice, tone and culture of GCU and help apply related internal communications standards and policies.
- Develops a production schedule and meets with internal clients on a regular basis to ensure that all project deadlines are on schedule.
- Assist with maintenance of GCU Today website which may involve taking and posting photos.
- Participates in meetings regularly with internal clients to understand their challenges and requirements. Responsible for proposing and supporting effective communications strategies for targeting specific audiences using the appropriate tone, vehicle and frequency.
- Researches internal communications projects and events being conducted at competitive institutions and offer ideas and suggestions to assist the team in remaining current and responsive to the changing communications landscape.
- May assist with project scheduling and coordination for the department.
- May assist with budget tracking and reconciliation.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution preferably in journalism, communications, marketing or English.
- Minimum of 5 years’ related work experience in public relations or public/external affairs.
- Proven record (portfolio) of writing for a variety of audiences and taking complex concepts and key messages and simplifying them into easy to read stories.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends or holidays when necessary.
- If supporting athletics, may require ability to travel overnight during weeknights and weekends.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet navigation, a variety of Internet browsers and Internet tools.
- Experience with Photoshop
- Experience in working with camcorders and still cameras
- Experience in formatting and distributing electronic publications and/or developing web content
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- 3-5 Clips or Writing Samples are required for consideration.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.