Public Relations Specialist
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon University is seeking a Public Relations Specialist. This role is responsible for building and maintaining a positive image for GCU. The PR Specialist will be in charge of establishing and maintaining relationships with media, community, and public interest groups by writing press releases and other media communications, and responding to requests for information and press conferences.
The public relations specialist helps gather and disseminate University news to the news media and develops and implements public relations activities to promote the University’s public affairs mission, faculty research, and academic theme areas while focusing on developing expert sources and topics of immediate interest to media.
- Responds to and follows through on requests for information from the media and the public, determining appropriate, accurate response and appropriate university contacts for response.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with media, community, and public interest groups.
- Writes press releases and other media communications
- Plans or directs media/public relations campaigns to maintain favorable public views of the organization's agenda and accomplishments.
- Manages day to day relations with the media, to include handling media queries, media interviews, and press conferences, preparing news releases and media kits, and promoting story lines.
- Facilitates the achievement of specific goals and objectives of the university’s colleges and administrative departments by developing and implementing public relations activities that are designed to meet those specific goals and objectives.
- Promotes a positive image of the University and facilitates coverage of the University by the news media by gathering and placing University news stories in targeted news media at the local, state and national level, identifying expert contacts on news events, arranging interviews between faculty and appropriate news media, and overseeing and maintaining a media database and an online database of campus expert sources.
- Writes and produces presentations and press releases
- Studies the organization's objectives, promotional policies, and needs to build public relations strategies that influence public opinion
- Helps promote the University to alumni, donor and internal audiences by preparing feature stories for University publications including alumni and employee publications and assisting in the gathering and editing of material for those publications.
- Cultivates expert sources within the University to help promote the faculty, staff and programs on campus, providing visibility to the University locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Contributes to the overall success of the University Communications/Public Relations department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Prepares and edits organizational publications, including employee newsletters or brochures, for external audiences.
- Monitors media coverage, analyzing PR metrics and researching best PR practices.
- Assists in preparation of spokespeople for media and other public facing opportunities by anticipating questions, issues and other potential disruptive happenings.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in journalism, PR, marketing or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ related work experience in public relations/journalism.
- Proven experience (portfolio) of writing for a variety of audiences.
- Knowledge of journalism, public relations and general communications principles and practices.
- Strong knowledge of local and regional media contacts and/or a proven ability to develop such relationships quickly.
- Experience in copywriting, editing and media relations.
- Highly effective communications skills with a good command of the English language.
- Ability to pitch to media.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to work with people of various viewpoints, cultural backgrounds and skill levels.
- An ability to work on big strategy plans as well as day-to-day tasks.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to gather, manage and impart information to the media and various other internal and external audiences.
- Ability to run PR campaigns that deliver measurable results and meet objectives.
- Deadline-oriented, works well under pressure, and inquisitive, with great follow-up and reporting skills.
- Ability to be succinct and create engaging written messages.
- Ability to distill information to key message points.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP style.
- Excellent planning and organizing skills with the ability to schedule and manage concurrent multiple projects or events.
- Ability to work independently
- Computer proficiency utilizing routine office software such as MS Office Suite, email, internet, blog software, etc., and a familiarity with social media platforms.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends or holidays when necessary.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.