Network Operations Technician
Adjunct faculty candidates who are employed full time by Veteran’s Affairs and who are hired by GCU should have a waiver on file with the VA regarding employment with a for-profit educational institution. Waivers are available from the VA.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon University’s Information Technology department is seeking a full time Network Operations Technician working under the direction of the NOC Supervisor and IT Management. Essential responsibilities include providing production network and systems monitoring, performing moderately complex fault-management and assigned configuration tasks in support of customers and customer supporting systems. This position is the technical lead for identifying and isolating large-scale systems and network issues. This person will perform routine tape rotations, provide routine remote hands-on work, and participate in additional support functions related to Operations Center and data center operations as needed.
This position will work the graveyard shift over the weekend. The chosen candidate will be required to work at least one, if not both, weekend days. The department is considered to be a 365x24x7 shop so candidates must be able to work holidays and such. An additional job requirement is the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Perform Tier 2 and Tier 3 support for a variety of systems and applications in a 24x7 Network Operations Center.
- Analyze, triage and troubleshoot alarms received by internal and external monitoring and trending systems.
- Proactively monitor operating systems, databases, web servers and network devices.
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner; escalate as required to management and/ or customers.
- Ensure escalations are handled in a professional, consistent, and relentless manner.
- Manage incidents from beginning through final resolution, including customer notification.
- Create/Delete/Manage all user accounts utilizing Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager (FIM) and Microsoft Active Directory.
- Handle server based hardware installation, configuration, troubleshooting, and replacement.
- Patch Windows servers as needed.
- Administer messaging systems (Exchange Server 2013), trouble ticketing system (Service Desk).
- Coordinate the installation of client department-specific applications and systems.
- Contact support for various systems on campus as well as troubleshooting hardware/applications.
- BS degree or equivalent training or experience in IT, Computing or a relevant field.
- Experience in messaging systems (Exchange 2013)
- Familiar with trouble ticket system (ServiceDesk).
- Must be able to adapt to new technologies and processes.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and self-sufficient with ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, holidays as required to provide support and maintenance for systems, and to ensure 24/7 support and troubleshooting.
- Must be able to pass background investigations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license; position occasionally operates University vehicles.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU’s Christian worldview has shaped the university’s mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University please visit us at www.gcu.edu.