Lecturer - English - College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Make a Difference at Grand Canyon University
Shape the bright futures of Grand Canyon University students as a full time Faculty member for the traditional ground campus in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, which provides a job focused education. The college features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
Teaches undergraduate English courses to the general education population, facilitating classroom discussions, assessing student performance, instructing students from diverse programs through general education courses and preparing students to be successful leaders in their chosen profession. This is a 9 month, 32-hour per week position with an anticipated start date in January 2019. Other main responsibilities include the following:
- Teaches undergraduate courses within the major, and general education courses.
- Assists students outside classroom hours (8-9 hours per week).
- Stays current on topics and practices related to the discipline and best practices in pedagogy.
- Actively supports college/university mission.
- Active engagement in professional development activities.
- Compliance with all college and University policies.
- Willingness to assume other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in English with emphasis in Rhetoric and Composition.
- 2-3 years of instructional experience at the post-secondary level.
- Ability to teach courses in developmental writing.
- Familiarity with web enhanced instructional tools such as Angel/Blackboard/WebCT.
- Ability to articulate a clear understanding of values-based education from a Christian perspective.
- Strong communication, time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated teamwork, self-motivation, integrity, and commitment to maintaining high professional standards.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- Doctoral degree in English with emphasis in Rhetoric and Composition.
- 3-5 years higher education teaching experience in a closely related field that includes teaching courses, conducting and managing learning experiences, and evaluating student achievement.
- Experience teaching courses in developmental writing.
- Understanding of the various methods of adult learning, education deployment/delivery including distance education/online services and classroom.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching across multiple modalities.
- Demonstrated engagement in the integration of Christianity with the discipline of English Rhetoric and Composition.
Interested in GCU Faculty and Adjunct positions, but can't find a position that's right for you?
Submit your resume to our Faculty Jobs Talent Community to be considered for future opportunities. Visit the Faculty Jobs page on the GCU Career Site and scroll down to join the Talent Community.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.