Junior Sous Chef
- Conducts daily walk through to ensure all stations prepared for opening and meal service.
- Hands on and responsible for own assigned kitchen section and responsible for controlling mise-en-place quality, quantity and the food storage.
- Understand, monitor and ensure opening and closing procedures for all kitchen areas; ensure that all crew members are trained in procedures.
- Observes crew members in food production line to ensure minimum product wastage in preparation.
- Assists executive chef in detailed planning and administrative work as needed for efficient food operations.
- In conjunction with the F&B management team, assists in maintaining a high level of service in accordance with established standards.
- Maintains current recipes and plating guides for all menu offerings; recommends changes as needed based upon trends in guest ordering and feedback.
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Maintains standards for food production and handling, cooking, food storage, sanitation, safety, and employee hygiene in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations.
- Works with Maintenance Department to ensure repairs are performed in a timely manner and not impacting efficient daily kitchen operations.
- Performs regular inspection of storage areas and monitors the dating of food items to meet required food safety standards.
- Inspects operation to ensure compliance with occupational, health, and safety standards.
- Attends all scheduled and appropriate meetings.
- Documents all incidents and accidents; follows appropriate procedures.
- Actively participates in continuous improvement activities to keep Canyon 49 current with trends in food preparation, menus, presentation, etc.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
- Work with executive chef and Sous chef in conducting weekly and monthly kitchen meetings with meeting minutes and follow up action plans.
- Has responsibility for oversight of assigned kitchen area and the culinary staff on a daily basis, which includes full time and part time employees and student workers. When acting as Sous Chef has oversight of entire food production area. Mentors students who are working in food operations as part of GCU’s Hospitality Management Program.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in restaurant, hotel or contract food service establishment.
- Must be proficient in all stations in the kitchen.
- Culinary degree preferred.
- Ability to pass pre-employment background check.
- Will be required to work nights, weekends and holidays or extended hours as needed.
- Demonstrated knowledge of kitchen administrative work flow.
- Extensive culinary skills to include butchering, food knowledge, knife skills, classical cooking techniques.
- Ability to follow standardized recipes and proficiency in recipe conversion
- Able to work under pressure of tight time frames, deadlines and dollar goals.
- Ability to taste all foods and assure correct preparation.
- Demonstrates excellent customer services skills and is able to train and teach staff customer service skills.
- Must be familiar with, and follow, safety requirements and precautions.
- Good interpersonal skills, the ability to interact positively with diverse populations and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Basic knowledge of computers and software including ability to use e-mail, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
- Must be able to maintain focus and sustained energy through peak lunch and dinner periods.
- Ability to read and speak the English language and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Demonstrate natural initiative to undertake or continue tasks or activities without supervision
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.