Help Desk Technician
Adjunct faculty candidates who are employed full time by Veteran’s Affairs and who are hired by GCU should have a waiver on file with the VA regarding employment with a for-profit educational institution. Waivers are available from the VA.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon University is currently hiring a Help Desk Technician. Under general supervision, the Help Desk Technician is responsible for providing technology support for help desk calls and/or work orders. The Technician resolves calls while on the phone with the customer. Enters calls into tracking system, prioritizes calls, evaluates calls, resolves calls and escalates calls as needed, and follows-up with customers. Handles both basic and intermediate user issues and problems.
- Answers calls or work orders from users requiring technology assistance; courteously ascertains reason for the call and determines whether issue can be immediately resolved or elevated to other staff.
- Evaluates each call to determine nature of problem and whether related to hardware, software, applications, client/server systems, desktops, peripheral devices and others, etc.; determines if on-site assistance by Information Technology Desktop Support staff is appropriate and ensures Desktop Support are notified.
- Uses remote desktop software to resolve issues, performs installations or demonstrates solutions to clients or help client identify issues.
- Resolves as many user-reported problems as expertise permits using available tools, and following procedures and policies for the handling of cases.
- Works with customers over the phone to provide step-by-step or detailed instructions on resolving the problem which may include modifying current programs, upgrading software versions and service packs, evaluating controls and security, new changes required.
- Acts as a liaison between customers and internal support staff to assure accurate problem interpretation; maintains communications with customers during the problem resolution process if necessary.
- Develops troubleshooting skills by using effective investigative methods and available troubleshooting tools.
- Completes required Help Desk training to enhance and improve support.
- Ensures all necessary information is accurately entered and tracked.
- A college degree in computer sciences, information technology or information systems preferred.
- One (1) year hands-on work experience working with Mac and PC based hardware, software, networking components in a multi-platform, client/server environment using LAN and/or WAN technologies preferred, preferably in a customer service role assisting with diagnosing technical problems.
- Related technical certifications are helpful but not required.
- May consider an equivalent combination of education, training and/or work experience.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU’s Christian worldview has shaped the university’s mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University please visit us at www.gcu.edu.