Graduate Assistant of Outdoor Recreation
Adjunct faculty candidates who are employed full time by Veteran’s Affairs and who are hired by GCU should have a waiver on file with the VA regarding employment with a for-profit educational institution. Waivers are available from the VA.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a Graduate Assistant for the Outdoor Recreation Program. The Outdoor Recreation program encompasses adventure based outings and rental components.
- Assist with hiring, training and supervision of all outdoor recreation student staff. This includes development of different training pieces and oversight of meetings. Discipline and counsel as needed.
- Assist with planning, promoting, and conducting outdoor recreation trips. Maintain participant registration and trip records.
- Assist student staff in planning, and execution of programming while directly overseeing field work.
- Assist with the management of the Outdoor Recreation program. Maintain records and reports of the day-to-day operations to include incident reports and rental information.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures for a rental center operation including day to day operations and repairs as needed.
- Assist with development and implementation of a marketing plan for the program.
- Be on-site as assigned during evenings and weekends.
- Report all injuries; notify emergency services when necessary. Submit appropriate injury report forms.
- Report disturbances and other incidents to the professional staff. Have appropriate personnel complete report form.
- Assist with Student Affairs special events as assigned.
- Make suggestions regarding improvements for the program.
- Attend all departmental and divisional meetings.
- Attend conferences, seminars, and meetings as permitted for professional development.
- Perform other duties as requested by professional staff.
- Undergraduate Degree in, Sports Marketing, Sports Management, Business Management or related field.
- Acceptance as a graduate student for an approved Grand Canyon University graduate study program. MBA, MED, MS (Leadership), MS (Organizational Leadership and Entrepreneurship)
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must be able to lawfully accept employment in the U.S
- Wilderness First Responder Certified
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Proficiency in written and oral communication skills and utilization of computers
- At least 3 years of Outdoor Recreation or equivalent experience
- Ability to supervise and train student leaders and student workers, to include organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Ability to foster a positive, cooperative work environment.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement promotional programs and events.
- Ability to comply with all policies and regulations of Grand Canyon University and enforce policies that apply to the Campus Recreation department.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU’s Christian worldview has shaped the university’s mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University please visit us at www.gcu.edu.