Faculty - Sociology - College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Adjunct faculty candidates who are employed full time by Veteran’s Affairs and who are hired by GCU should have a waiver on file with the VA regarding employment with a for-profit educational institution. Waivers are available from the VA.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Make a Difference at Grand Canyon University
Shape the bright futures of Grand Canyon University students as a full time Faculty member for the traditional ground campus in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, which provides a job focused education. The college features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
As a full-time Sociology Faculty member, you’ll provide program instruction incorporating innovative teaching methodologies, cutting-edge technologies and other industry trends reflecting advancements in your discipline. If you are highly motivated and passionate about teaching exceptional quality instruction in modern facilities with smaller class sizes, we’d like to hear from you. This is a 9 month faculty contract that will start on 8/13/18.
Responsibilities include equipping students with the required skill set, facilitating classroom discussions, assessing student performance and preparing students to be successful leaders in their chosen profession. Other main responsibilities include the following:
- Teaches undergraduate courses or graduate courses within the requisite discipline meeting the required course load requirements.
- Develops and provides instruction that incorporates current teaching methodologies, technologies and other trends that reflect advances in the requisite discipline educational instruction.
- Engages students within classroom to stimulate discussions for collective learning.
- Incorporates relevant research resources and experiential activities to support course objectives, lectures and learning outcomes.
- Compiles bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading.
- Assists students outside classroom hours and actively mentors students.
- Develops and administers forward thinking short and long term learning plans for students’ development and growth
- Maintains compliance with requirements for program accreditation.
- Assesses student performance in accordance with University Assessment Practices.
- Assist with curriculum design and development; be a sound advocate for change to programs, curriculum and teaching methodologies/pedagogies.
- Engages regularly in professional development activities
- Participates actively in college or university committees for advancing the overall educational mission of the university.
- Fosters and promotes diversity and collegiality among faculty, students and staff.
- Provides leadership and mentorship to adjunct faculty.
- Develops and maintains relationships with professional contacts to support internship programs, project collaborations and student mentoring.
- Assists college administration in developing internal and external communities that promote the Colleges academic programs/majors.
- Maintains compliance with all college and University policies and program accreditation/licensure requirements.
- Effectively utilizes assigned resources including any budget allocations.
- Willingness to assume other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree required. Doctorate degree preferred.
- Minimum two years’ teaching at collegiate level required or extensive industry knowledge may be substituted based upon the dean’s approval.
- Specialized knowledge of discipline areas may be required.
- Evidence of involvement in one’s professional area (e.g., membership in professional organizations, presentations, research and/or publications).
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University's Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
Interested in GCU Faculty and Adjunct positions, but can't find a position that's right for you?
Submit your resume to our Faculty Jobs Talent Community to be considered for future opportunities. Visit the Faculty Jobs page on the GCU Career Site and scroll down to join the Talent Community.
GCU’s Christian worldview has shaped the university’s mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University please visit us at www.gcu.edu.