Esports Coach (League of Legends) Part Time
Grand Canyon University is seeking an individual to Coach an Esports League of Legends team. This individual will be responsible for Coordinating practices, scrimmages and competitive games. They will perform scouting, strategy development and training regiments for an esports team. Administers all aspects of esports program including: recruiting, scouting, game/match and practice preparation, monitoring the academic progress of student-athletes, public relations efforts, budget operations, team travel arrangements, and fundraising activities. The position is responsible for developing student-athletes through a variety of instructional methods and for developing sport-specific skills, spiritual maturity, physical wellness, mental preparation, and character. The position will require the coach to take on the role as tutor and mentor to provide academic success of student-athletes and implement successful retention strategies.
- Establish appropriate game strategies for esports team to build skill and ability to compete.
- Coordinate scrimmages and matches with other schools, incorporating seasonal league games.
- Establish protocol to film team; review and provide feedback to team.
- Gather competitive data and apply to coaching strategy and practices.
- Responsible for requesting, communicating and facilitating maintenance or replacing gaming hardware.
- Scouting high school players and potential walk-ons for team positions.
- Create team environment which supports retention of team members and growth in skill ability.
- Ensuring team compliance with all league, conference, and institutional rules and regulations.
- Continuously ensuring personal behavior and program reputation are in alignment with Grand Canyon University mission and doctrinal statement.
- Conducting coaching and instruction activities during training, practice and competition.
- Coordinating off-season, practice and competition schedules.
- Running camp, clinics, and promotional events.
- Work with university staff and faculty on recruiting efforts and assigning scholarships.
- Recommend esports equipment, facility and other needs to build competitive esports program.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 1 year experience competing in in League of Legends or being coached in League of Legends.
- Coaching an esports team in a college/university is preferred.
- A valid driver's license and ability to travel are required.
- Must be available for team practices which will be after 5:00 p.m. and weekends.
- In depth understanding of the esports video gaming genre.
- Ability to successfully manage, mentor and coach team members.
- Self-directed with willingness to assume responsibility.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to resolve conflicting situations.
- Precise attention to detail.
- Ability to envision and drive growth for the university’s esports program.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to resolve issues independently.
- Ability to work with a diverse community of students, faculty, administrators and professional colleagues.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.