Campus Safety Manager
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon University is seeking a full time Campus Safety Manager. This role is involved in the direct supervision of Campus Safety Supervisors. This individual will be involved in the execution of programs, policies, processes, procedures and systems designed to ensure the safety, security and protection of University property, students, faculty, employees, guests, visitors and members.
- Directly supervises Campus Safety Supervisors (and patrol shift or division)
- Provides leadership to staff to further the University and department’s goals and objectives.
- Supervises, directs, disciplines and trains campus safety officers for all University safety enforcement functions, carrying out the policies, rules and regulations of the University, Arizona state codes and statutes, Federal and local laws/ordinances.
- Oversees crime prevention and campus coverage which includes the University’s 27th Avenue location.
- Participates in disaster planning and training and organizes and coordinates the functions and activities of emergency personnel, staff, external security and safety agencies in the event of a disaster.
- Operates available University/campus transportation means, firearms, radio transmitters/receivers, mobile electronic devices, computers, software, bicycles, Segway as needed.
- May direct patrol activities and command headquarters and may have responsibility for supervising shift operations of public safety, communications, support services and security including crime prevent/education, crime reports, dispatching information to assigned staff;
- Responsible for the appearance, discipline and efficiency of assigned staff.
- May serve as operational head at special events conducted by the University and/or community.
- May have to testify in court as needed.
- May have responsibility for investigation of campus complaints, accidents, and other sensitive incidents, determining the proper methods of crime detection, analysis and identification work necessary to gather evidence; reviewing reports and other data submitted; and assisting Federal, State, City, County agencies in investigations.
- Maintains electronic/manual records, logs and files on related matters.
- May be required to make decisions on University Public Safety matters or questions of University policy in the absence of the Public Safety Director.
- Renders aid when necessary including first aid, CPR, etc.
- May work irregular hours and is on call.
- HS Diploma
- 2 years’ GCU experience in a supervisory role if do not have more than 7 years’ relevant work experience and 2 of those years’ experience in lead role such as law enforcement, emergency services, security or military experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must be able to work evenings and/or weekends depending on scheduled events.
- Ability to accurately interpret applicable federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record and must be insurable.
- Must successfully pass background checks.
- Working conditions may include exposures to violent, hostile or emotionally unstable individuals as well as potential exposure to body fluids.
- Associate’s Degree or College credits in Criminal Justice or related study preferred
- CPR First Aid and/or First Responder Certification preferred
- Certification in NIMS 100/200, 300/400, and 700/800 preferred
- Work demands frequent walking, standing, and climbing stairs.
- A combination of education and experience which provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job may be substituted upon Director’s approval.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.