Campus Recreation Fitness Program Coordinator
Grand Canyon University's Office of Campus Recreation is hiring a Fitness Coordinator. This position creates and administers fitness programs to provide opportunities for students to engage in meaningful community beyond the classroom experiences. This position will directly manage group exercise and assist in managing personal training, small group training and educational-based fitness programs, as well as supervising fitness rooms and student staff.
- Develop and implement University’s group fitness program including teaching multiple group fitness classes per week.
- Serve as a substitute instructor as needed for fitness classes and special events.
- Conduct instructor and program evaluations at the conclusion of each semester and/or school year and recommend changes based upon the evaluations.
- Train group fitness instructors and personal trainers.
- Required to work on pre-determined nights and weekends covering events throughout a calendar year, some evenings and early mornings as needed for programming instruction and supervision.
- Assist with the management of daily operations of Student Fitness Facilities as needed
- Research and recommend new equipment to add to facilities to meet the needs of fitness program.
- Fill out injury/incident reports when needed in conjunction with Public Safety and Campus Recreation policy.
- Act as first responder to incidents in the facility.
- Develop and implement an ongoing cleaning/maintenance inventory program of all fitness equipment
- Research latest trends in fitness programs and recommend changes in current programming to keep up with trends
- Participate in creating marketing plan for fitness classes and initiatives; collaborate with marketing in reviewing promotional materials/social media campaigns to grow student participation in fitness center programming and events.
- Participate in goal setting for Campus Recreation programs and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in exercise science, exercise physiology, health and fitness, kinesiology, physical education, or closely related field.
- 2 years of full time professional experience in fitness/wellness related programming.
- Experience teaching health/wellness and group fitness classes.
- First Aid/CPR certificate or able to obtain within 90 days of employment.
- A minimum of one (1) certification in group exercise and/or personal training as recognized by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). Accepted certifications include: ACSM, ACE, AFAA, NSCA, NASM, NCCPT, or other meeting the same criteria.
- Professional experience to include training of group fitness instructors and personal trainers.
- Basic knowledge of federal and state regulatory guidelines for recreation centers.
- Demonstrates knowledge in navigating and maneuvering routine office software (Email, MS Office Suite, etc.) and proprietary software.
- Must have ability to work flexible hours, which may include early mornings, evenings and weekends based upon events/programs.
- Must pass pre-employment background check and drug screen.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- Personal Training experience and knowledge preferred
- Experience working in a University Campus Recreation setting.
- Well coaches (Wellness Coaching) certification now or within 1 year.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.