Biology Lab Technician
Adjunct faculty candidates who are employed full time by Veteran’s Affairs and who are hired by GCU should have a waiver on file with the VA regarding employment with a for-profit educational institution. Waivers are available from the VA.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon University’s College of Science, Engineering and Technology is seeking a Biology Lab Technician. This position is responsible for the set up and daily maintenance of the Biology labs. The daily set up requires all equipment to be available for daily classroom usage by faculty and students. Maintenance activities include stocking and inventorying of required supplies, checking all equipment to ensure operational, troubleshooting equipment if operation problem and alerting management and/or vendor for necessary repair. This position is for the academic calendar year (Aug-May) and is for the early shift, 6:30am-2:30pm.
- Conducts the day to day operational set up of the lab for use by all students and faculty.
- Responsible for following administrative processes of ordering and ensuring that lab supplies are at the required levels so as to not diminish level of learning required for the students.
- Responsible for ensuring that all supplies, equipment, media, computers and materials needed are available and all equipment is at optimum operating levels.
- Ensure preparation of lab supplies and equipment is based on faculty/course requirements
- Serves as the resource person for faculty and students in any matters relating to the operational aspects of the lab.
- Mixes and applies cleaning chemical applications as required.
- Adjusts, maintains, calibrates and performs minor repair to equipment; report major repair needs or arrange for repairs according to established procedures.
- Follows upon on waivers
- Conducts general daily cleaning in the lab and collects and disposes of waste materials according to regulations per lab shift.
- Performs specialized and technical duties to assure efficient lab operations
- Documents safety, accident and other incidents according to established reporting protocols.
- Prepares various records and reports related to laboratory operations and activities as required; research and obtain new experiments for laboratory use.
- Performs related duties as assigned and needed.
- Associate’s Degree in any of the biological sciences.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a biology lab environment
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and equipment of assigned physical sciences lab.
- Knowledge of safety regulations involving area of specialty.
- Ability to perform specialized and technical duties to assure efficient physical sciences lab operation.
- Knowledge of proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Knowledge of advanced mathematics.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU’s Christian worldview has shaped the university’s mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University please visit us at www.gcu.edu.