Assistant General Counsel
Grand Canyon University is seeking an Assistant General Counsel to assist in providing advice and counsel on a broad range of legal and regulatory matters critical to the University’s goals and strategic mission.
- Assists in the direction of the legal affairs of the University to include oversight of regulatory compliance, litigation management, nonprofit, risk management and compliance, licensing and accreditation, complex commercial transactions, real estate development and transactions, agreements and employment counseling and litigation.
- Assists the General Counsel in the representation of the University in all legal actions, including regular contact with outside counsel.
- Assists with all legal processes necessary to protect the privileges and rights of the University.
- Provides legal and regulatory advice and counsel, expertise and leadership to GCU relating to all aspects of the University, facilities/construction operational functions, including the resolution of significant legal issues and legal and compliance risk mitigation, including nonprofit law, compliance governance and litigation management.
- Supervises and manages the provision of legal services, either personnel or external counsel to meet the strategic objectives of the organization; actively manages legal issues to minimize risk and costs for the University.
- Ensures that compliance procedures, legal policies and documentation are in place to support the University from a financial and regulatory perspective; monitors the effectiveness of legal risk controls and identifies and remedies control gaps.
- Provides legal advice, guidance and counsel on the ordinary and special activities of the organization.
- Assists General Counsel in policy deliberations.
- Assists in directing the defense of the University against suits or claims and prepares prosecution of the University’s claims against others.
- Juris Doctor or LL.B. from an accredited institution with an excellent academic record.
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Arizona, Bar admission and in good standing.
- Minimum 10 years’ legal experience including substantial experience working in litigation management, regulatory compliance, employment law, and nonprofit governance.
- Prior experience in post-secondary education is preferred.
- Knowledgeable of federal and state regulations in areas of specialization.
- Advanced knowledge of nonprofit law and governance matters.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.