Assistant Athletic Trainer
Adjunct faculty candidates who are employed full time by Veteran’s Affairs and who are hired by GCU should have a waiver on file with the VA regarding employment with a for-profit educational institution. Waivers are available from the VA.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon University is seeking an Assistant Athletic Trainer for Track and Field specifically. As a member of GCU’s athletic staff, you are responsible for knowing and complying with the applicable constitution, bylaws, laws, policies, rules, regulations, and/or enforcement structures of and governing the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and of the Western Athletic Conference. You are responsible, through education and monitoring, to ensure that all staff, student-athletes and other persons affiliated with the program comply with the constitution, bylaws, laws, policies, rules, regulations, and/or enforcement structures. You are accountable for violations by any coach, staff member, student-athlete or other person under your supervision or control and you have an affirmative obligation to monitor the program for compliance matters and to immediately inform the Office of Athletics Compliance and Sport Supervisor of any suspected violation and fully cooperate in the investigation. Failure to comply with the applicable rules, regulations and policies my result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
- Prepares student-athletes for practice and competition
- Coordinates ATC and ATS coverage of various events hosted by GCU athletic department
- Recommends emergency plans for all venues and manage emergency situations in the event of acute injuries.
- Provides treatment for and rehabilitation of athletic injuries for student-athletes
- Maintains complete medical records filing system for students to utilize in educational process, providing sufficient opportunity for appropriate student review and utilization of commonly used administrative records and forms (i.e. accident reports, treatment records, insurance forms, etc.) in accordance with HIPPA regulations
- Maintains records with regard to insurance submittal for athletically related injuries
- Acting as liaison between student-athletes, coaches, administration, parents, medical personnel and other support staff in matters of health and welfare of student-athletes
- Coordinates medical referrals to outside medical specialists as needed
- Attends campus meetings as designated including staff, athletic staff and ATEP
- Cooperates with ATEP committee in providing quality education experiences for ATS’s
- Cooperates with controlling budget expenditures on expendable and capital supplies
- Organizes ATS schedule of training room coverage
- Coordinating treatment for student-athletes during travel times
- Maintains policy and procedure manual
- Prescribes routine and corrective exercises to strengthen muscles.
- Coordinates ATC and ATS coverage of various events hosted by GCU athletic department.
- Develops emergency plans for all venues and manages emergency situations in the event of acute injuries.
- Provides treatment for and rehabilitation of athletic injuries for student athletes.
- Recommends special diets to build up health and reduce overweight athletes.
- Maintains complete medical records filing system for students to utilize in educational process in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Coordinates activities with ATEP professors.
- Renders aid to student athletes by providing first aid and physical therapy to promote healing and relieve soreness. Consults medical physician as required.
- Master’s degree in Athletic Training
- 0 - 3 years relevant experience
- National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification (NATABO). Current Arizona licensure required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of personnel
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU’s Christian worldview has shaped the university’s mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For more information on Grand Canyon University please visit us at www.gcu.edu.